The Music Thread!

BlingBling 3k12

Somewhere... dunno though
Welcome to the Music Thread! Share your view on the latest music news and talk about who your favorite bands/artist/groups are. Also, you can talk about ANYTHING, as long as it is related to Music.

I'll start it off..

My favorite bands are 311, System Of A Down, Papa Roach, Puddle of Mudd, Adema, and a lot of other rock groups. I have a wide variety of music that I like. I like rock, rap, punk rock, some techno, and pretty much anything that I seem to like.

Except the odd downtempo stuff and Aphex Twin, I listen to Velvet Underground, 13th Floor Elevators, Captain Beefheart (THE man! Beatlesbones and Smoking Stones!):D

And a whole load of Samba -- (if you like rock, and you like samba, and you like 60's psychadelia, check out Os Mutantes, fantastic!);)

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
I like rock, rap, punk rock, some techno, and pretty much anything that I seem to like.

:confused:

So you're saying you like pretty much what you like? ;)

LOL... what I meant is... okay... here's a scenario...

I HATE POP MUSIC! ABSOLUTELY HATE IT!

But, I like Michelle Branch.... good songs! :D

It's sorta like an oxymoron, but I couldn't find the right words at the time to describe it....

Some of my faves include:

Dan the Automator
DJ Shadow

Squarepusher
Autechre

Kool Keith
Del the funky homosapien

Pinehurst Kids
Rainer Maria
Poster Children
Guided By Voices

Stereolab
Komeda

Godspeed you Black Emperor
Sigur Ros

I've heard of Michelle Branch, but I have not heard anything from her. Where is she from ? (what kind of music) ?

I like to listen to various styles, depending on mood :p Usually dance/club kind of music, and on the rare occasion I will put up some hard rock and gothic stuff to listen to like rammstein.

A coulpe of my favs:
Pixies
Beatles
Talking Heads
Radiohead
Beck
Beth Orton
Björk
Cake
A Tribe Called Quest
U.N.K.L.E
Kruder and Dorfmeister
Mos Def
Frank Black
David Byrne
Ben Folds
Wilco
Bogmen
Elvis Costello
De La Soul
Eels
Hum
Kinks
Nirvana
Soul Coughing
Weezer
etc...

Rinse,
Have you heard the new DJ Shadow yet? I'm curious to know if it's any good or not.

Originally posted by rinse
DJ shadow solo? or the new UNKLE album?
There's a new UNKLE album?:eek:
I was referring to the DJ Shadow that came out today (I think.) If I wasn't so po' I'd go out and buy it. Speaking of which, found a job yet?

Matrix,
You can't possibly like all of those.

OK, well i guess you can exclude:

Beth Orton
Björk
U.N.K.L.E
Kruder and Dorfmeister
Frank Black
David Byrne
Wilco
Bogmen
Eels
Hum

Some of those I have just never heard of.
:D

to peoples tastes, I go with most of the above as well, especially (and additional to my original post):

Talking Heads
Autechre (though they're starting to sound like Aphex Twin)
Radiohead
Beatles (fellow Scousers;))

Plus:
Boards of Canada
Captain Beefheart (again,I luv this guy)

The Summer of Sam soundtrack (disco a go-go!!)

Can someone tell me which is the best Fila Brazilia album, I just bought Jump Leads and think it's a load of rubbish:(

catch 22, less than jake, pain, buck-o-nine, goldfinger, mest, tenacious d, reel big fish, calling shotgun!, cruiserweight, bowling for soup, the vandals, jimmy eat world, greenday, disturbed, the impossibles, flogging molly, the hippos, rx bandits, new found glory, the jumping monks.. just to name a few

Don't forget R.E.M. and U2.
If you hate U2, I don't want to hear about it. :D
I was surprised to see Wilco already on here. I had Yankee Hotel Foxtrot recommended to me by two people (one of whom was my mom) in about a week. Thatt's a good album! I heard their label dropped them after they heard it. Suckers!
Also, They Might Be Giants. Fun.
Loreena McKennitt. Nice.
An artist and a band you've probably never heard of:
Dar Williams
Dispatch
Good stuff. I have had the chorus from a Dispatch song ("The General," which is fantastic) stuck in my head for about a week now.

Also, I second the following:
Radiohead
Aphex Twin
Pink Floyd

Ta.

-the valrus

yes there is a new UNKLE, only heard a couple of tracks.

as for the new shadow... i too am broke and have little $ to buy music. i have no job, just freelancin'. (which is a job, but not a JOB, you know?)

autechre can sound like Aphex Twin... that is cool with me. I have listened to Richard for years.

I have almost the exact same veiw on music as Bling.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK

weird al is a crazy son of a fun but some of his songs are funny ;)

I've been to two of Weird Al's concerts. He just went back into the studio to make a new album.:D

311 is my all-time favorite band .. but I'm also a pretty big fan of System of a Down and Foo Fighters.

I've got some unreleased 311 songs on my iDisk if anyone's interested... ;)

Back