the mysterious case of appletalk

fuzz

Registered
I've had this problem for quite a while, but I never really took time to fix it. Other people in my network cannot access my powerbook through appletalk. I've checked my Network settings in my system preferences, but it is checked. I can access the other mac computers in my network without any problem. Other people cannot see me or access me. What is wrong?

THanks.

You need to tell us a little more about the other computers.
Important info:
OS X (at least 10.2 and higher, I don't remember about 10.1 and before) DO NOT USE appletalk for file sharing. They use TCP/IP port 548, which is Apple Filing Protocol. Apple took appletalk out of the equation. OS 8.x and newer computers can connect to OS X by entering the server IP address in Chooser. OS X can connect to OS 9 if in the Sharing Control Panel "Allow Users to Connect Using TCP/IP" is checked.

Other Macs:

Powermac G4 933 Mhz OS 10.3.9 - Appletalk On
Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz OS 10.3.9 - Appletalk On

I don't use OS 9! Good riddance!

Isn't appletalk and AFP the same?
But what's wrong with using AFP for filesharing?

Appletalk is a network comm protocol. Apple File Protocol is a file sharing protocol. I thought it (AFP) used to mean appletalk filesharing protocol, too, but I guess I was wrong!

The no appletalk isn't as absolute as I was saying, for 10.2 and 10.3 (I use 10.4). Glad you listed the OS versions. You can read about this change in appletalk here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106461

Back to your issue - Any chance some computers are wireless, others wired? Please tell us a little about your network. Are all computers in the same subnet - compare their IP addresses - are the first three parts the same like 192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.4?

gsahli said:
Appletalk is a network comm protocol. Apple File Protocol is a file sharing protocol. I thought it (AFP) used to mean appletalk filesharing protocol, too, but I guess I was wrong!

The no appletalk isn't as absolute as I was saying, for 10.2 and 10.3 (I use 10.4). Glad you listed the OS versions. You can read about this change in appletalk here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106461

Back to your issue - Any chance some computers are wireless, others wired? Please tell us a little about your network. Are all computers in the same subnet - compare their IP addresses - are the first three parts the same like 192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.4?

Ok, I'm confused by the article; I didn't know there was a difference between AFP and Appletalk. So Appletalk is a networking thing that is phased out. And AFP is what I really use. AFP uses a specific port on TCP/IP?

my powerbook is wireless. Our network is wired and wireless. THe Powermac is wired to a wireless netgear router. The first 3 parts of the IP address are the same. The router is the dhcp server.

Ya, AFP uses port 548 on TCP/IP.
But it does that automatically for you. In Go To Server, when you select a server, you'll see "afp://servername."

I think your wireless router is causing the hassle. Different wireless routers handle appletalk differently. Some block appletalk from going from wireless to wired sides (or maybe the other way around, right?). So, if 10.3 is using appletalk for server discovery, you're not being discovered. To test that, on one of the other computers, enter the IP address of your computer in an AFP URI in Go to Server -
afp://[IP_address]

Hope we're getting somewhere...

Back