The new imac, juicy gossip required

garyi

Registered
I have just ordered a flat panel imac, thing is in UK they won't be available till late march, (I read mid April) so common peoples whats it like in use?

On a different note, it would appear apple have bucked their ideas up on the cost of ram, I ignored it on the apple store website assuming it was way over priced, well the cheapest I could find it in UK was £4 more than apple, thing is I already placed the order doh!

Any way give us the gossip.

I don't know how this works, but I would think Apple could modify your order as long as it hasn't shipped yet. And (if you can) definately get the single 512 MB internal chip. It's probably worth the hassle of trying to upgrade it later as far as taking the thing apart. The bottom slot is easy enough to do, but you really have to tear the iMac apart to get at the inside chip.

Yeah, I noticed that Apple has cut the cost of their RAM dramatically. I think it's really worth it to get it factory installed, now. No fuss, no muss.

I was checking out prices at Crucial. 256MB 133Mhz is 95 dollars for powermacs ram. do imacs use the same? I think thats a good 50 dollars cheaper than apple's prices isn't it? 512 was about 180. Coming from a PC background, crucial is the best you can buy for pcs....i assume its pretty good for Macs too

WOW, RAM prices sure have gone up!

I got a 512 PC 133 2-2-2 stick for my G4 (not Crucial, but still good) for about $100 Canadian a few months ago.:D

Same thing here. I just installed a 512MB stick from Crucial and it cost me $188. Last year this same size cost about $100. Guess the days of cheap ram are over.:(

I should point out though that the new iMac uses So-Dimm memory, which is the standard for laptops. Its usually a smidgin more expensive.

Back