The new keyboards!

gphillipk

Registered
In one swift vicious move Apple has managed to make my old Bluetooth keyboard look clunky! In case there're p'ple who've not had a peek @ these beauties: http://www.apple.com/keyboard/
I've used the old BT keyboard for about 1.5 yrs and I find the keys slightly too soft. For those of you in possession of one the new keyboards, please give some feedback on how they feel. I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

Personally, I wish they hadn't castrated the BT version of the new keyboard. You end up paying more for less functionality. I use the extra keys a lot, so I'm basically relegated to the wired one whether I like it or not...although I don't even like that one either. I'm not quite sold on the design, but I have to check it out to see what it feels like.

Still, this wouldn't match with my white iMac G5 so I would probably try and find the previous iteration of the BT keyboard (which is what I have now).

it's actually remarkably well thought out. it takes courage for a designer to omit something that people use, you have to weigh in the benefits of removing it.

people who use bluetooth keyboards are often people who use it on their laps. the keypad shifts the centre of the typing area off to the left, meaning it's over the left thigh, unstable. removing the keypad shifts it back into stability.

it's for the same reason gamers will never trust wireless mice. the cord is for pro's, wireless for show-off consumers.

I tried the wired one in the store, and it felt faster to me than the previous generation. I don't like typing on the MacBook keyboard, but for some reason, I liked the new keyboard over my old one. It probably has something to do with it being at an angle, the screen being higher, and not sunken.
I prefer the wired one because I have a keyboard tray, and a USB hub is invaluable when I'm hooking up to my PowerBook.

it's actually remarkably well thought out. it takes courage for a designer to omit something that people use, you have to weigh in the benefits of removing it.

people who use bluetooth keyboards are often people who use it on their laps. the keypad shifts the centre of the typing area off to the left, meaning it's over the left thigh, unstable. removing the keypad shifts it back into stability.

it's for the same reason gamers will never trust wireless mice. the cord is for pro's, wireless for show-off consumers.

Meh. I'll keep my current Apple BT keyboard. I like having the extra keys and still being able to move it around wherever I want. :p The feel isn't phenomenal but better than some of Apple's previous USB keyboards.

I love the new keyboard. I think the small BT one is great, but I do agree, an extended BT keyboard she be available. I went from an Apple BT keyboard to a wired one and while I love the new keyboard, I has a stink'n wire. :) I never use the USB ports on the keyboard, because I use a non-apple wireless mouse.

Like I said, I've just gotten the new wired aluminum keyboard. I must say, it's amazing! It really feels like a MacBook keyboard. It sits extremely low, which is really nice on the wrists, and it looks great. As far as basic keyboards go, this one gets a 10/10 easily. I couldn't find a single flaw with it.

I'd like a (dependable) full-size bluetooth keyboard purely for aesthetics; it fits very comfortably with a modern, minimalistic workspace. Other than that, I completely agree with you.

I was skeptical of the new keyboard at first, but after trying one at the apple store here in town I love the darn thing! Damn you, apple... :)

I just wish you could get them here in Canada ... I'm told another month before they are available ... I guess I could order it in from the U.S. ... but then I have to come up with something to add so that shipping is free!

You can order it from the Apple store in canada, but I've never had to pay for shipping since my orders have always been more than like $100.

I prefer the wired one because I find wireless mice too slow to be usable, and I need somewhere to plug my USB mighty mouse :)

Got one of the new keyboards recently and like both the design and feel very much. Better than the MBP keyboard even.

The new keyboards are great! Very solid key response much like a MacBook or MacBook Pro. Not spongy, you may even feel like you have a new Mac.

The new Bluetooth does not have the extended keyboard features like to old one has, if that is a concern.

If you are in the market for a new keyboard they are great.

Well, it turns out that our small "Mac Group" store had a keyboard in stock when I showed up there this morning, so I grabbed it. And yes, it's AWESOME! I have a MacBook which I connect to an external monitor, mouse & keyboard, and I am so happy with the new keyboard. It is the most comfortable keyboard I've ever used - I can't believe I can get excited about a stupid keyboard!

I like the design of the new keyboards. Only thing that would really kick it up would be an integrated touchpad, especially on a the BT model. Less clutter, and easier for couch surfing or throwing the keyboard in your lap.

I like the integrated touchpad idea. Apple could do some really neat things with it in iPhoto and and Aperture.

(Posted with iPhone... :D)

okay ... is there a way to set up the extra function keys to open programs? Like make F13 open iTunes, F14 open Keynote, etc.?

Back