The Official MacWorld (Keynote) w/ Online Chat

Gee, I would buy one of the new "MacBooks" but since Apple refuses to ship to my APO, I think I'll just wait a year or two until the next time I return to the states.
If ever.

U.S. government employee working overseas.
At least the Apple store I purchased my Mac mini from gave me my government discount.
Wow, they can switch from PowerPC to Intel, put video in iPods, build-in support for iPod remote FM transmitters, sell millions of videos and songs yet still cannot ship to a simple APO address? It's the same as shipping to ANY address in the U.S.A. via USPS. Insured mail, registered mail, the whole nine yards can be shipped to APOs.
Hey, Steve-o can't you get this one little thing right?

Yeah, I know. But "overseas" might still be near a computer store selling Apple products. That's what I meant with "off-world"... If you're, say, located in Germany, you can't really be 30 miles from civilisation.

Yes, I like all my peripherals and operating systems to be in a language other than English, my native tongue. Not.
Yes, I'd like to pay 1.5 times the U.S. price for Apple products. Not.

iball said:
Yes, I like all my peripherals and operating systems to be in a language other than English, my native tongue. Not.
I expect you could get round that; for instance, you should be able to choose your language for OS X during installation, should you not?

iball said:
Yes, I'd like to pay 1.5 times the U.S. price for Apple products. Not.
Well, fair enough, but it's the same for the rest of us. :(

Please! Check the current exchange rates for the dollar to the pound sterling.
You get paid in pounds, correct? Your trash collectors over there get paid more than most people do in minimum wage jobs in the U.S.
Imagine living in the UK and getting paid in U.S. dollars! Ack!

And just how would I change a MacBook keyboard from German-layout to U.S.-layout?

You could have the store order it with US keyboard. No problem. I see the currency issue. It's really cheaper in the US. Hm. Whatever. We're just trying to help you get what you want. Maybe we shouldn't...

iball said:
Please! Check the current exchange rates for the dollar to the pound sterling.
You get paid in pounds, correct? Your trash collectors over there get paid more than most people do in minimum wage jobs in the U.S.
Imagine living in the UK and getting paid in U.S. dollars! Ack!

And just how would I change a MacBook keyboard from German-layout to U.S.-layout?
:rolleyes:

For the new MacBook:

Current price in US dollars from the US Apple Store: $1999

Current price in pounds Sterling from the UK Apple Store: £1429

Using an exchange rate of £1 = $1.76 (www.bbc.co.uk), equivalent price of roughly: $2515

fryke said:
You could have the store order it with US keyboard. No problem. I see the currency issue. It's really cheaper in the US. Hm. Whatever. We're just trying to help you get what you want. Maybe we shouldn't...
Indeed...

Taken from a quick visit to the German Apple Store online:

German_store_original.jpg

(Unless I am mistaken, these are choices of language for the keyboard and OS.)

Yup. It lets you mix and match keyboard layout and OS. But I guess as long as Apple's online store doesn't deliver to APOs (although MacWarehouse and others even might...?), there's nothing to make him happy.

Or you could wander over to that thread you started four days ago over in 'switchers' and discuss this matter over there...

Australian AppleStore i selling 1.8Ghz MacBook for $4,000.

A bit steep - converting 2500 to AUD comes to only 3,300.

EDIT: There was a joke here, but it was so geeky I decided to remove it. I apologise to anyone who read it :D

Thank The Cheese said:
Australian AppleStore i selling 1.8Ghz MacBook for $4,000.

A bit steep - converting 2500 to AUD comes to only 3,300.
It's not a competition, you know! :)

...although... if it were, you'd be winning right now. *sulk* ;)

fryke said:
Yup. It lets you mix and match keyboard layout and OS. But I guess as long as Apple's online store doesn't deliver to APOs (although MacWarehouse and others even might...?), there's nothing to make him happy.
You're missing the point.
Apple is the ONLY American computer company that refuses to ship to APOs.
If it's so damn "costly" or "time-consuming" to ship to APOs, then why does everyone else ship to APOs?
Sheer laziness on Apple's part.
Also, take note: overseas U.S. military organizations use their official mailing address when ordering new equipment with taxpayer dollars.
That address is also an APO box. Now you know why everyone ELSE ships to APOs and Apple's market share in the computing sector is smaller than IBM/Dell/HP.
I can pick up the phone and call IBM and they will ship out equipment to an APO in a matter of hours. Same with Dell and HP (ugh, HP sucks).
In other words, I gives a damn if I can walk down the street here in Germany and order a complete system in English: I'm not paying the high mark-up for it. And they won't give me a discount either, which is something I like to call a "veteran's benefit" for continued service to my country.

norrina said:
Or you could wander over to that thread you started four days ago over in 'switchers' and discuss this matter over there...
Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay.

Really, iBall, I truly understand that this p**es you off, apparently. Still: Please accept that your problem is not everybody's! It seems that instead of trying to solve your problem and _get_ what you want, all you do is complain about it and _keep_ complaining about it. Wherever you've complained about it _so_ far on this board, people have tried to tell you how you can still get your Apple hardware, and you've kept ignoring those tips and kept whining about your problem with Apple not shipping to APOs. Believe me: We _know_ now that they don't. Welcome to macosx.com. Enjoy your stay.

fryke said:
Really, iBall, I truly understand that this p**es you off, apparently. Still: Please accept that your problem is not everybody's! It seems that instead of trying to solve your problem and _get_ what you want, all you do is complain about it and _keep_ complaining about it. Wherever you've complained about it _so_ far on this board, people have tried to tell you how you can still get your Apple hardware, and you've kept ignoring those tips and kept whining about your problem with Apple not shipping to APOs. Believe me: We _know_ now that they don't. Welcome to macosx.com. Enjoy your stay.
You're still missing the point. It's nice that everyone here now KNOWS about this problem, but just how many have actually sent an email to Apple about solving the problem? I've sent email after email about it and they've ignored me. I glad everyone knows about it, now how about actually helping to do something to correct that issue Apple has? An email campaign perhaps?
It's not just about GETTING the hardware, I can get the hardware at outrageous prices all day long. It's about getting that same hardware/software just like any other American living in America, which is what were supposed to be able to do via APOs and FPOs. It's discrimination of a sort.
Or are some of you (not pointing at you, fryke) out there going to let your "politics" get in the way?

Like I said: It's not everybody's problem, and I have no intention mailing Apple about it. First: I'm Swiss. I don't need Apple to send me stuff to APOs. This is not really about politics, rather about the fact that we're quite an international community. :) ... I'm sure that if some of us here _are_ American and they think it's important that Apple ships to APOs, that they'll also send their mails. But hammering your message out again and again is probably not going to help your cause here, because in the eyes of those who _don't_ care, you're simply spamming. And in the eyes of those who _do_ care, it might start to turn into the very same thing: spam.

iball, I think you missed MY point. Which was, simply put, you already started your very own thread about this issue. Go talk about it over there and stop hijacking the discussion about MacWorld keynote.

Thanks!

Back