THE OpenOffice help page

Koelling

I Think Different
I was hoping that we could get one single thread for all things having to do with getting OpenOffice to work and run properly. That way someone looking to download and use OpenOffice has a FAQ to turn to. Please leave criticisms and reviews of this Pre-Alpha software out of here so it's easy to get help.

Some general things to start:
1.) Get the download from www.OpenOffice.org
2.) Make sure you have XDarwin installed
3.) When installing it will check for certain libraries. If you don't have them it will tell you and you can get them from Fink or off osxgnu.org.

#3 addresses my first obstacle, I had dlcompat installed via fink but the installer couldn't find it. I downloaded a package installer from osxgnu.org and that got me rolling.

Now I have it all installed but when I push the applescript files that are supposed to start it nothing happens. Does anyone know how to get past this?

hmmm...

I did that and it looks like it launched, the application menu read "Start OpenOffice Writer".

Then the whole menu bar goes transparent(like when you force quit something) and nothing happens. When I move my mouse the menu bar goes back to OroborOSX.

When I watch top I see the process which must be the applescript but that quits out and I'm left with the same as I had before.

How do you open it from terminal or xterm so I can see the errors? Do I need to restart or rebuild anything? I might try restarting next just to see if that helps.

Back