The price tag

Zenzefiloan

Registered
I will write something very sort for all of you to read please. I am doing a PHD in computer systems engineering in the UK. As a result I get to meet lots of student, professors etc etc.

I happen to be able to use a PC running WIN XP, another running Linux and I recently purchased a PowerBook G4 500 due to the fact that the new operating system is based on UNIX and because I loved the look and the feel of OSX. I have to say that it is far ahead on many aspects compared to WINDOWS. I use the Ti mainly for programming and design. I am also on the process of ordering an iPod, which I find is one amazing piece of equipment. I love things that are minimalist, clean designs, little buttons few menus.

When I have people in my office or lab they all look at the laptop and they instantly say 'why the hell did you buy an apple?' people have this idea of apple as being a system that cannot offer them as many things(applications etc) as windows can. Then a normally let them play around with it and you know what they love it. I tell them to have a look at the iPod they love that as well. But the problem starts when they ask the price.... as soon as they hear how much those things that apple makes cost they immediately say I will stick with what windows supports.

I have been thinking why a company like apple charge so much for their products and the only excuse is that they want to create a closed group of 'loyal' users. People that will be buying their new machines as soon as they come out. What they really need to do, and this is my opinion, is hit the microsoft world where it has the lead and that is prices.

Also developers need to be making programs that will be directly antagonizing WIN applications.

The machines and the hardware that apple makes/develops are very much ahead of those of other makers, their new operating system is amazing what they need now is better and more reasonable prices. More people will buy so the profit margin will not change. I know it is a gamble but I think it is one worth the taking.

I would like this to be a discusion and not a win-apple type of argument.

Thanks a lot for reading

I totally know what you are coming from when you say "When I have people in my office or lab they all look at the laptop and they instantly say 'why the hell did you buy an apple?'"... I have the same problem, and I havent even bought it yet. I tell people how im going to buy this top of the line system (see below for full specs).... and they say "Macs suck, get a PC"... I get so annoyed... I love Apple, but I dont HATE PCs. I just wish people would stop with this "anti-theotherplatform", especially when commenting on my/your computer. Why? Because its MY money, its MY computer, and I'll do what I want. Also, I think that people who hate macs do so because they are jealous that Mac users have such a nice computer that they barely ever call Tech Support, or need any help with it.

Anyway, heres the contents of the shopping cart I will be buying from Apple.com (ps- the prices are so low because I am buying this through the college):

Code:
SAVED ITEMS: 

Part Number:  Z03Y
        Product Name: PowerBook G4 667MHz
        Options: 
             065-2787   667MHz PowerPC G4 @ 133MHz
             065-3022   AirPort Card
             065-2809   512MB SDRAM - 2 SO DIMMs
             065-2790   48GB Ultra ATA drive
             065-2855   DVD-ROM Slot Load Drive
             065-2792   Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
        Unit Price:   $3,101.00
        Quantity:     1
        Net Price:    $3,101.00
        Estimated time to ship:    15 days

Part Number:  T4118LL/A
        Product Name: Office v.X for Mac Academic
        Unit Price:   $199.95
        Net Price:    $199.95
        Estimated time to ship:    Nov 19

Part Number:  T3543LL/A
        Product Name: Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
        Unit Price:   $49.00
        Net Price:    $49.00
        Estimated time to ship:    20 days

Part Number:  T3100LL/A
        Product Name: Iomega Zip 250MB USB Powered Drive
        Unit Price:   $149.00
        Net Price:    $149.00
        Estimated time to ship:    1 day

Part Number:  T3996LL/A
        Product Name: LaCie 24x10x40 CD-RW Drive
        Unit Price:   $329.00
        Net Price:    $329.00

Part Number:  T4130LL/A
        Product Name: Diablo Battle Chest
        Unit Price:   $49.99
        Net Price:    $49.99
        Estimated time to ship:    2 days

Part Number:  T2430LL/A
        Product Name: Unreal Tournament
        Unit Price:   $29.95
        Net Price:    $29.95

Part Number:  T3398LL/A
        Product Name: Myst III: Exile
        Unit Price:   $47.95
        Net Price:    $47.95

Part Number:  T2784LL/A
        Product Name: The Sims
        Unit Price:   $49.95
        Net Price:    $49.95

Part Number:  T3804LL/A
        Product Name: The Sims: House Party

Part Number:  T2941LL/A
        Product Name: The Sims: Livin' Large

Part Number:  T4098LL/A
        Product Name: Labtec Icon - 730 Headphones
        Unit Price:   $15.00
        Net Price:    $15.00

Part Number:  T2828LL/A
        Product Name: Kensington Mobility Essentials Kit
        Unit Price:   $89.00
        Net Price:    $89.00

SUBTOTAL: $4,169.69

there are many people at my school that say macs suck becasue they think all the school lets them do on there computerss is all a mac can do then they come to my house and play around on my iBook or G4 and start to love Apple I have gotten 5 people to switch to macs.

Until the release of OSX, I had the same outlook on macs as most people. I just do not like <=OS9. Probably most people do not understand what a difference between OSX and OS9 there is. They just see the apple logo and turn their heads. We have discussed the issue of hardware pricing in other threads, just look through the site. If I ever pay off my powerbook, I will probably replace my linux PC with a powermac, as I really admire OSX!

-jdog

For Apple to put out stuff that costs less, they need to put out less. Apple works hard, especially in R&D, to make sure that they put out a decent system when you boot it. M$has put out stuff that is consistently off, sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. And PC manufacturers are similar. But they each find their niche and produce what sounds like a lot and really isn't much and price it as low as they have to. Somehow that worked once, and the platform became what it is, I don't think it'll happen again.

If Apple tried to sell a problem rather than a solution, I think the effect would be users dumping the platform instead of third party developers creating products to fill in the gaps. I agree, the price does seem nasty sometimes. Now being one of those times.

I'd love little more than to see Apple double its market share. But I can hardly justify doing so if it kills their profits. They are making money now. I think the differentiation may need to be as much along the lines of feature adding as cost reducing.

Read this thread I posted about a horrib experince @ a store today.

I am scrapping by (as in on perminent disability), and am stuck on a Beige G3 266 MT for a good 2+years (thats if I am lucky). No an iMac is not an option for me becuase of the screen size. I am legally blind. I am lucky to have -100 in my bank account @ the end of the month.

The point is, I am unable to afford a new Mac (the Mac that I need) which would cost $5,000 CDN including a new 17 LCD monitor.

you can help me by going to My Mac site and making a donation. (it will help keep the site going and get me a new computer).

Apple needs to bring down there pricing on there computers.

$499 iMac 500mhz 128MB RAM 20GB CD-ROM
$599 iMac 500mhz 128MB RAM 20GB CD-RW
$799 iMac 600mhz 256MB RAM 30GB CD-RW
$999 iMac 700mhz 256MB RAM 40GB CD-RW/DVD

$1,299 Quicksilver 733mhz 256MB RAM 40GB CD-RW/DVD
$1,599 Quicksilver Dual 733mhz 256MB RAM 60GB SuperDrive
$1,999 Quicksilver 867mhz 512MB RAM 80GB Super Drive
$2,199 Quicksilver Dual 876mhz 512MB RAM 80GB Super Drive
$2,499 Quicksilver Dual 900mhz 512MB RAM 100GB Super Drive

How long would it be before Apple was @10% market share?

I agree with the low end, an iMac that would continue to be supported for a while for $500 would serve the needs of a LOT of people. As for the high end, I honestly don't think they can afford to cut prices like that.

As for you personally, Mac Write, if I wasn't borrowing money to pay bills monthly I'd love to help you out. Hang in there, don't let the bastards grind you down.

Originally posted by theed
I agree with the low end, an iMac that would continue to be supported for a while for $500 would serve the needs of a LOT of people. As for the high end, I honestly don't think they can afford to cut prices like that.

As for you personally, Mac Write, if I wasn't borrowing money to pay bills monthly I'd love to help you out. Hang in there, don't let the bastards grind you down.

Thanks

My site is growing slowly, but I don't have money to advertise it, and I don't want to put ads on the site, so I am now asking for donations $1, $5, $10, $100+.

Since I aquired vbulletin for my site, (and no one posts), I am learning it, and may work towards offering services for installing and setting up vbulletin for people who don't know how to. I also may work on offering custimizing php portals for people to make some money.

How did MacOSX.com get so many people to come to these boards?

I wanted to compare DELL to Apple and found the following. I am a mobile professional in graphic design and thus wanted a mobile powerstation...

DELL:

PIII 1.13GHz 15" UXGA display
256 MB RAM
NVIDIA 16 MB video card
30 GB harddisk
DVD-ROM drive
Windows XP Professional
Wireless Card
$2995.00

Apple:

Titanium PowerBook G4 667 with 15" wide screen
512 MB RAM
ATi Radeon 16 MB video card
30 GB harddisk
DVD-ROM drive
Mac OS X 10.1 & Mac OS 9.2.1
AirPort card included
$2999.00

So, I see. Apple is 4$ more expensive. But I *have* to tell you that I like the Titanium better. :p

$2500 for a dual QS w/ SuperDrive ??? :eek:!!!!

I want one!!!!! :D
People this is CHEAP! (well compared to teh fact that I bought my G3 @ 350 w/o recordable media (only DVD) 2 years ago)

Or maybe its becoz now I have a real full time job that pays like noe that prices look better, plus this of all the use... movies, MP3, MPG2, VCD, kickarse VPC.....

I better not get it -- I spend way too much time on my mac as it is, if I got that I would probably be glue to my mas 24/7/366 he he :p

Admiral

the price you quote is for a single processor from what I see, and doesn't include airport.

from Dell
* Intel® Pentium® 4 processor at 1.6GHz
* 128MB SDRAM
* 40GB1 Hard Drive
* 17"(16" viewable) Monitor
* FREE CD-Burner or DVD Upgrade!
Click here for offer details

Online Only!
$1049 Before Mail-in Rebate
-$ 100 Mail-in Rebate Click for rebate details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
$ 949 After Mail-in Rebate

I'm not gonna argue that this dell is as nice a system as the mac, but it's close enough that many people won't see the difference. Add a decent video card, and this box will destroy the Mac in quake for about half the cost. Especially since you haven't yet bought a monitor for the Mac! The price point is a valid concern. There is no cheap expandable mac with a 17" or larger monitor. Price is an issue in a lot of situations still.

I was talking about mobile computers, dood. I was comparing a high end DELL notebook with a high end Apple notebook. My comparison is right and the price comes out as about the same. Go figure.

Back