The Reach of Rendezvous

IslandJordan

Registered
Does anyone know how Rendezvous decides how far to look for other Rendezvous users on a network?

I am at a large college in a large, school-owned apartment building. All computers are connected to the same school-wide network. Rendezvous detects my roommate in the room next door and the girls down the hall, but it cannot detect my friends 12 floors above me. I don't know very much about how the Boston U network is set up, but it hardly makes sense that Rendezvous only searches for Macs on my own floor.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks, Jordan.

for ours, rendezvous only checks our dorm. i really should know more about this, but i don't. anyone?

rendevous only works in the local subnet. if you have to go through the router (see TCP/IP prefs under Network) to connect to other people then you won't be able to see them.

As the current implementation of Rendezvous, it doesn't go beyond its own subnet. However, that feature is being planned. Maybe we'll see it when Panther is out.

Cool. Except now I don't know what to type (I'm network/server stupid). And, of course, I've created serveral neighborhoods that don't do anything, and now I can't get rid of them. ;-)

I don't know the address of any of the other neighborhoods on the BU network. I wish it would search them out for me!

Not sure, but isn't Rendezvous (zeroconf) limited to the local subnet by design?

(Rendezvous FAQ)

In fact, Rendezvous is designed as a true (as in Apple) plug-n-play LAN tool, not a plug-n-play Internet. :p

dani++

If you can get your network admin at your school to allow Rendezvous's broadcast packets outside of your local subnet then it might work :p

This would require him/her to reconfigure the network router.

Eh. My school is a machine. There's over 30,000 people who are using the network at any given time. It'd never happen. Thanks for the explanation, though!

Back