The reasons why Apple is better (Because they are not a PC)

Stridder44

Universal Traveler
The article can be found here: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28430.

APPLE REALLY IS is the better way, but why? No, not for the trendy industrial design, not for the OS, not for the CPU, but for the money. It charges quite a bit, but it is not the 'reassuringly expensive' factor either, the price/performance is nothing to brag about. What makes Apple better is quite simply the fact that it doesn't compete.
If you look at the PC world, they have some amazing deals out there. Even with the Windows tax, you can find sub $300 PCs that are functional if not stupendous. They work, and for a young child, or someone who just wants to surf, they will get the job done. They will also be cheap as hell, have a power supply that may cook after a few weeks, and dangerously sharp edges on the interior.

The raw MIPS will be there though, as will the 'Windows experience'. Once it boots, and before it dies a smoky death, it will be just like any other Win box. Whoopee. This is what all PCs out there have to contend with, $299, even if they cost $2999. The same vicious cost cutting philosophy that brings you those price points pervades the rest of the motherboards, hard drives and components, Taiwanese ODMs will kill to save $.12/1000 on parts. Can you say bad caps?

What you have is a cut throat competitive environment that leads to a fantastic price performance figure at any level, but it also has a down side, life. Things smoke out, innovation is a word that MS coopted when creativity fled Redmond, and they all come in a set colour scheme, black and silver of late.

Apple, the long forgotten subject of this article, is different. It doesn't compete against anything at all. The industrial design focus group is one turtleneck wielding man, not a watered down group of suburban housewives who fit into income category 12a, or teens in the hip-hop demographic. Nope, Apple needs to please one person.

The more important point, in fact the point is that it doesn't have an insane list of companies putting out the exact same product. It makes the case it wants to. It makes its own motherboard the way it wants, it uses the right CPU, GPU and monitor panels. Keyboard and mouse? The same, it is done the Apple way, not any other way, to its spec and with its components.

OSX? Neat. So what. More importantly, it doesn't have to use the caps that cost $.02, it can use the ones that cost $.05. Those will just work better. Need a 12,000RPM fan to cool a CPU that puts out 190W? Sure you can get them cheap, or you can get a water cooling rig that is not cheap, but it is silent, and works a hell of a lot better. Guess which one Apple chooses, and guess which one the PC masses choose?

In the PC world, if you did any of this, you would end up with a box that costs $999, and all you competitors would be at $699 for the same CPU spec, the same GPU, and same everything. You would sell all of 12 pieces while Apple would move thousands. Your company would go under before you could be laughed at by the big box stores.

Apple doesn't play there. In fact, it doesn't play any game at all, in any way. It just look down at all the PC players fighting it out and does its own thing. Sure, it costs twice as much, and can sometimes end in 'quirks' that prevent much needed functions from doing what you want, but it is done the way 'it should be'. Not perfect, but much better.

So, the thing that makes Apple better is not the design, OS, or a mouse button less, it is not playing the same rules that govern PCs. It is more a willingness to do the right thing, not the cheap thing. Because Apple doesn't play, it wins, and that really is the better way.

I'm missing your thoughts on the linked/pasted article. :)

So... Basically, the article says Apple has no competition in its own little market it created, and thus it wins instead of just playing... I'm not sure I agree.

For one thing, Apple really _is_ in competition with all the other PC makers. It's also in competition with Windows _and_ linux.

But another important thing is that _some_ things the article's based on, are just wrong assumptions. The design group at Apple does _not_ only have to make designs Steve Jobs likes. The designs must be appealing to people out there, or they wouldn't sell as many as they do. In fact: _Because_ the designs are so appealing, Apple has been able to switch some Windows and UN*X users over to our side.

So... While there are some interesting thoughts in the article, I think its basics are already flawed. Nice opinion piece, but failed. C+, maybe a B.

fryke said:
For one thing, Apple really _is_ in competition with all the other PC makers. It's also in competition with Windows _and_ linux.

Well while it does compete in the computing category they are really not competitors. When you talk about Windows and Linux as competition it's a SOFTWARE related configuration. But the fact that you cannot run Windows on Apple hardware it's not a *practical* competition. Products that can be called as perfect substitutes compete. As such since they all offer the power to compete they compete but as far as their hardware is concerned, I hope you understand why they don't exactly compete. It's like how currently AMD64 processors out perform Intel like wise Apple has very different standards which are not DICTATED by it's theoretically proved competitors.

fryke said:
In fact: _Because_ the designs are so appealing, Apple has been able to switch some Windows and UN*X users over to our side.
You really think people think choose between dell inspiron and a apple powerbook by comparing it's hardware?? If you don't then you should be able to understand why apple doesn't really compete in the hardware segment.

While I know you are a mac pro - I am just thinking aloud as management student.

Although I agreed with some points in the article, others about competition I do not.
First, I believe the design of the OS and Hardware are at the heart of why Apple is better. Compare the design of the PB to anything on the PC side. Typing on a flimsy keyboard on a PC laptop compared to a PB? About the only laptop keyboard I seen that can rival are IBM (levino) Think-Pads. Design is clearly one reason people choose Apple.

Second, although I understand the premise of his argument, that Apple does not compete in the PC space, I think a better choice of words would be not "in the same way." Clearly, a consumer is faced with purchasing a Macintosh or a variety of PCs. True, Apple does not have to compete to make a cheaper computer then DELL, but they still have to compete. Apple has to give a person a reason, who has never bought and Apple before, reason to look their way.

Interesting article, and some great points. To those of us that purchase Apple products, we compare Macs to Macs. To a new consumer, or a person thinking about switching, they surely compare Mac to PCs clearly. For those that either switch or purchase a Mac for the first time, they are fueled by one of two things. One is switchers are tired of the PC market and/or windows. New users to computers that choose Apple are more than likely attracted to the design before they understand the operation of OSX.

wazowski said:
You really think people think choose between dell inspiron and a apple powerbook by comparing its hardware? If you don't, then you should be able to understand why apple doesn't really compete in the hardware segment.

So the "Macintosh" market is a defined market which is not in competition with the "PC" market? That's ignorant in my book. Apple is very much competing with other PC makers. They fight for every user, actually. While the products might be difficult to compare directly, this doesn't mean they're not competing at all. And only because you don't compare a Dell Inspirion to an Apple PowerBook doesn't mean that people out there do.

I think that article is written by a scared little windows user. That may one day have to co-exist in a world with, and use both Os's.

Apple is competing and winning. Remember once apple was losing the battle and almost died? but now its really winning and beginning to give them all a fair flogging!!

Honestly, i think mabey that is a windows user in denial!

Back