"The scanner is big because it uses FireWire."

rharder

Do not read this sign.
At an Apple retail store this weekend (Tysons Corner) I mumbled to myself aloud, "I wonder why this scanner is so big" (it was a few inches thick). A store employee chimed in with a, "What?" I said, "I have a Canoscan that's an inch thick. It's too bad they can't all be so thin." His reply: "It's bigger because this one uses FireWire."

Usually it's the customer that says something stupid...

And on a related note, check out http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid for some pretty funny things people have said when not understanding computers. Maybe I can add this one.

-Rob

That is kinda odd, you would think that they would at least know a LITTLE about what they're selling.

This is an apple retail employee?
I figured I'd have a hard time getting a job, even with computer science and technology management degrees.

LOL... thats funny. I sorta feel good to be back here after being gone since april i think.

heh, working at a pc store I get the stupid customers all the time and then I don't mind those, because they dont' believe they are smart, it's the best buy "techs" that annoy me. :)

I don't really think scanners are "big" just because it has firewire.
There's 2 kinds of technologies for scanners in the way it scans ...
The scanners that use the older technology is usually bigger. Scanners
that use the newer technology are really flat and compact. However,
what I heard is that the older technology still produces a better scan
so a lot of companies are using the older technology (ie, bigger scanner)
for higher end scanning. It would make sense that Firewire is more
useful for the higher end scanners because the users usually require
more sophisticated and larger scans ...

dw

Originally posted by Total Konfuzion
heh, working at a pc store I get the stupid customers all the time and then I don't mind those, because they dont' believe they are smart, it's the best buy "techs" that annoy me. :)

I hear that! I work as a DSL tech for a major ISP and run into the exact same thing. I love it when someone thinks they know absolutely nothing about computers calls in. Those people actualy listen. It is the self proclaimed computer guru's that I hate to talk to. They get to thinking that it's one specific problem when the issue lies somewhere else, and they are unwilling to check that out.

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
I hear that! I work as a DSL tech for a major ISP and run into the exact same thing. I love it when someone thinks they know absolutely nothing about computers calls in. Those people actualy listen. It is the self proclaimed computer guru's that I hate to talk to. They get to thinking that it's one specific problem when the issue lies somewhere else, and they are unwilling to check that out.

I used to work at a small local ISP and I got this call once:

"Just about all the websites I visit now can't be displayed - it used to work fine, is something wrong with your servers?"

Guy has a 386, 8MBs of RAM, Windows 3.1, Internet Explorer 1 or 2.something or other...

What I want to know is - how the heck was he able to get online in the first place???!!! And why didn't he start having problems a while back?

And he SWEARED the problem was on OUR Servers, not his computer! :rolleyes:
He huffed off and said he was switching to Earthlink... yeah... right... good luck and good riddance! He's Earthlink's problem now! heh :D

I just picked up a part-time holiday help position at the Apple Store opening in King of Prussia, PA. I am a college student w/53 credits @ Penn State Abington Campus. I started as a CompSci major, but I am not an engineer; I am too people-oriented. All I had going for me was a little retail experience, love of Macs, and love of helping people. I mentioned this site during the (live/2nd)interview. I am so excited!

i've had techs come in with these sophisticated explanations of why they think their expensive rackmount that they just built isn't powering on and then it turns out to be that they didn't have the power switch header in the right place on the motherboard. I mean, those are the people I wish i could just stab with my phillips head screwdriver in the temple =/ w00p :)

You guys have it lucky there... over in Singapore. Apple Centre staff does not even bother to talk to you if you do not look like you can afford to buy anything. Duhz.

Well, most of the time when they do... the younger ones only tells you things that you can read up on websites. Nothing more... bleah... that is why I almost stop buying any accessories for the Mac locally.

Back