The stupidity of the general public!

You know what? Everytime that commercial comes on, I move mu new iMac to do the same thing. I even open the CD tray at just the right time.:D

Jeez, why should people expect the iMac to dance on its own? Do you expect Barbie to move all on her own? Do you expect the Scrubbing Bubbles to smile at you while they clean your sink? Do you think Ritz Bits sandwhich crackers actually do a dance on the moon to stick to each other using cheese? Do you expect your Chips Ahoy cookies to dance by themselves every time "Sing sing sing" is played? Do you expect the Pillsbury dough boy to pop out of the can every time you want to make crescent rolls? WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?

i want to talk about the caring less thing some more!

i don t really trust the heritage on this one. i really don t think it is sarcasm, but rather sloppy speech that became common usage. sarcasm is 'oh yeah, like i really care' perhaps since that usage is also common, the use of care in the positive was associated with sarcasm, hence the 'i could care less' having care in the positive, and being considered sarcasm. but it is not consistent with sarcasm in english! it is erroneous speech. of course, yesterdays erroneous speech becomes todays standard usage, but i don t have to like it (or even agree with american heritage)

i think another example of this kind of mixing of phrases is when you use the phrase 'no difference' or 'same thing' and soon you start hearing 'same difference'. it is bad! what does that mean, 'same difference'???

ack. i can rant for hours about english language. i really shouldn t get involved. i have been trying painstakingly hard not to get involved in the religious rant (Mac users repent), because i hate these kinds of arguments, where both sides are right, but no, not really, i am right!

Originally posted by xaqintosh
we seem to have gotten slightly off topic here, haven't we?

and no! this is not off topic at all! the title of the thread is 'stupidity of the general public'

i think this issue falls squarely within that domain!

Remember the "Apple Pro Mouse" commercial? Where the Apple Pro Mouse runs around the screen with "Born To Be Wild" playing in the background? I wonder if any of these morons thought that the mouse would actually do that on it's own.

I smell a lawsuit!

I totally agree with you, Lethe.

The term "same difference" is used regularly at my school, and I find it incredibly obnoxious. Saying "same difference" is saying absolutely nothing. It's like:

"Go get me a cup of milk please (happy, Valrus?:D :D )"
"Ok, here"
"hey, that's not milk, that's Petroleum Jelly"
"same difference"
(insert "yes it is the same difference, but I want milk" here)

See? it just doesn't work.

Should have said "please."

I know that sentence didn't have a subject. It was informal. :p

-the valrus

Back