The true benefits of a mac

GlryX

Registered
I have been looking at getting a mac for a while now, and am about ready to make the switch...but something just dawned on me...that I really do not know what the bnefits of a mac are.

So far, all I can think of is that it doesnt crash as much, but when it does, its horrific... Thats it, and is it just me, or is the software a bit expensive??

My question beeing...what are the true differences (good and bad please) between XP and OSX, hardware too.

Thanks.
(PS, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, judging by the names, descriptions, and other posts...this seemed to be the right one...and if its not, i am sorry and will be better next time, so please dont chew me out and answer the question and maybe mention where this should be:))

My reason for getting a Mac is reliability. This is the only computer I use without thinking it's gonna crash any second. I did before, but now I just keep launching applications and over-using the system in ways I would never dare before...maybe that's just me thou

I can truly say that I have first hand experience with your conundrum. I have been using Macs for around 8 years. I recently had to purchase a pc laptop also, for client presentations (web development specific to windows I'm afraid).

The laptop came with XP, here's what I would consider the differences between the OSX and XP after spending a couple of weeks with XP (I'm already OSX to the bone, and proud):

1. XP (and all other Windows systems, but XP to a far greater extent) likes to take the long way round to get anywhere (whether it's changing network settings, control panels etc.); 500 routes to get to one place, and all are not the simplest.
[I consider OSX to win here hands down, nice a accessible to whatever you need to get to (System Prefs etc.)]

2. The big bruther which is Micro$haft seem to want to guide you around every step of the way when using the system (kinda like a over-zelous paranoid nanny, scared you may stumble across something you shouldn't)... how many times I have to press okay just to confirm things is beyond belief

3. Though I think XPs interface is currently rather nice, I think it will be very very much dated soon, looking more like a web page design than a system.

4. XP does open apps quicker, but you'll find most of those apps belong to none other than... yes I'm sure you know!

5. OSX10.2 will blow XP right out of the water, seriously, I cannot stress how such a major and innovative release this will be [get on board]!

If I think of anymore I'll post here;) Gotta work!

Originally posted by GlryX
So far, all I can think of is that it doesnt crash as much, but when it does, its horrific... Thats it, and is it just me, or is the software a bit expensive??

I wouldn't say this is necessarily true...both machines can crash horrifically, it's not like macs are useable, then after a crash you have to send them in for repair. I have probably 1/10 the computer knowledge as some of the more experienced gurus on these boards, and I've never had my mac crash in such a horrible way that I wasn't able to figure out what was going or be able to work around it so I could boot up and get online to ask others for help.

As far as hardware is concerned between a mac and a PC...I'd say the difference is night and day. Plug and play is truly plug and play on a mac. I can't even tell you how many things I've plugged into my powerbook without installing drivers that have just worked right off the bat. It's amazing really...exactly the way computers and peripherals were designed to work.

This may not count, but no one mentioned it yet...

The Wow factor is huge. The day I got my G4 together my mother-in-law stopped in and did a double take at what was sitting on my desk--this from a woman that is terrified by calculators! My wife could care less about computers, but was 'drawn' to the Mac and since loves using it. It's all true!

OK, now for more serious answers. I just switched myself from PC to Mac and am seriously happy I did. It's easier, more fun, more enjoyable, LOGICAL, and you never feel like someone is watching what your doing--Wintel anyone?

The biggest reason I feel though is the support...and I don't mean from Apple. These user groups are freaking unbelievable with the amount of free advice and help you can find. I am sure they exist for PC's, but these groups are tight and everyone is super helpful. Gotta love it!

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!
Vard

Originally posted by Izzy
As far as hardware is concerned between a mac and a PC...I'd say the difference is night and day. Plug and play is truly plug and play on a mac. I can't even tell you how many things I've plugged into my powerbook without installing drivers that have just worked right off the bat. It's amazing really...exactly the way computers and peripherals were designed to work.
I can attest to this. I was at a wedding and we were going to do a slideshow presentation on his Toshiba laptop. BUT, we couldn't find a VGA monitor cable and luckily I brought my PowerBook G3 (made in '98) equipped with an S-Video port. I bought the cable but I needed to transfer the file from the Toshiba. He didn't have a floppy or a zip or anything, but he DID have a flashcard PCMCIA reader. We tried pluging it into my PB, and IT WORKED!!! :D Hooray, the day was saved! The Toshiba guy was amazed at how it just popped in and how I could eject it from the keyboard and not pry out a little push button lever. :rolleyes:

I had no prior experience with S-Video, or PCMCIA flashcard readers.

Anyway, moral of the story, Macs just work.

don't fear the mac crashes. a mac is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to troubleshoot than a PC. i've been on a pc for 8 years, a Mac for 1 and i don't think i'll ever go back. one of 3 things has always brought my dead mac back to life:
clear PRAM
fsck -y
disk util with OS 9 CD.

this includes kernel panics, no system folder, the works. i am, after all, the official breaker of macs.

I can tell you my story... and the turth is, I have a PowerBook and a PC which is faster than my Mac. But I use my Mac more than my PC, and more exactly, I don't use my PC every day... Just sometimes when my friends need to send me files through ICQ or they want me to test their PC files... I spend most of the time on Mac because it's interface is prettier and the way it works is much simplier (sounds abit like those switchers, :p)

Originally posted by Vard
The biggest reason I feel though is the support...and I don't mean from Apple. These user groups are freaking unbelievable with the amount of free advice and help you can find. I am sure they exist for PC's, but these groups are tight and everyone is super helpful. Gotta love it!

Actually, I have yet to find one usergroup for Windows that is as good as MacOSX.com
I'm not sure they do exist. Help is rather spread over different places and you're lucky if you get the help needed.
We're here for the love of our systems, I don't think I've met one PC user who talks about love for his system until AFTER I let it slip that I own a Mac...then they love PC...

The benefit of a Mac is it allows you to get your work done in the least amount of time.

Apple works on the most restrictive productivity bottleneck: the human<->computer one.

PS: I will say that Mac OS is a bit harder to break than OS X in many ways. I can rename volumes, folders, and files without links breaking or apps losing track of open files. I can move the entire System Folder without breaking anything, or I can copy it to a new volume to create a bootable backup. In short the only problem with Mac OS X is the fragile file-based UNIX.

Thanks for all the replies! I am just that much more closer to getting an iMac, Im actually going to the mac store today to check them out...

I must admit that the ability to just h ave things work with macs is attractive, such as just plugging it in, and it works. The whole community aspect of a mac is another thing I like...

But another quesiton I have,is a rather simple one...Do macs come with appleworks right out of the box? Or any other text editor with good features (such as spell check)?

Thanks for all the help!

pretty much everything in X is spell checked, so you don't have to worry about that ^_^. my computer did not come with apple works, but then again, it's kinda old. simple text is pretty advanced (drag and drop pictures, font toolbar, etc.) for simple stuff, and there's a util on versiontracker that allows it to open .doc files.

Originally posted by GlryX
But another quesiton I have,is a rather simple one...Do macs come with appleworks right out of the box? Or any other text editor with good features (such as spell check)?

Thanks for all the help!

All Macs come with a bare bones editor in both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X.. SimpleText or TextEdit, respectively.

However, all iMacs, eMacs, and iBooks DO come with AppleWorks. Unfortunately, PowerMacs and PowerBooks don't, and you'll have to buy AppleWorks for $69 if you get one of these Macs. :\

Hey, I recently heard that all apple computers come with two stickers of their logo. Obviously this isnt a factor in my decision, but it still would be kinda cool:D. Can anyone clarify this? One more thing:), how good do the apple pro speakers sound? I wanted to get the sound sticks but I thought I would just be smart and keep the pro speakers and get an iSub, but was wondering if the combo was kinda iffy.

Thanks again

As for the stickers, that is a yes. You get two white Apple stickers. I was actually pretty suprised at how much sound those Pro Speakers could put out—at least for their size. It was fun watching the silver centers bounce in and out to the music beat! :D

I have the SoundSticks, and they work GREAT for me. The base sounds great to my ears. SoundSticks are USB based, while Apple's use a special sound port. So, I would think the combination of the Apple Pro Speakers with an iSub should work with the hardware configuration, but I'm only guessing.

Back