theoretical physics forum

Section for theoretical physics?

• Yes, because I'm cool

• No, because I'm not

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fragger

Lorem Ipsum
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if there would be a small or large demand for a new subsection for theoretical Physics.. just because Physics rules.

But this could lead to a discussion of how many neutrino collisions in the average Mac does it take to flip a bit...

believe it or not the class that we do the most discussion about theoretical physics is in "Anatomy & Physiology"!

Yay Physics!

No, no, no.....What we REALLY need here is a CHEMISTRY FORUM discussing inorganic chemistry as it applies to PowerPC processors and the latest greatest advances in integrated circuit design. Imagine this...discussing the probability of a neutrino colliding with an array of 29-Silicon atoms (as opposed to 28-Silicon, the most abundent naturally occuring isotope) whose nuclear spins are coupled (I=+1/2; it's a nuclear spin active isotope with a natural abundance of 4.67(1)%, and therefore observable in NMR spectra) such that it creates a cascading nuclear spin flip throughout the array. How fast would the cascade (domino effect) be? Would an electron travel along Silicon's sigma bonds faster than the cascade in flipping nuclear spins? What's the probablility of having 29-Si atoms with a natural abundance of 4.67(1)% forming a localized array in a microchip? I really have no idea, but it sure sounds like the start of a very lively discussion. You see, Silicon is the only element whose sigma-bonded electrons behave similarly to the delocalized electrons in carbon pi-bonds. Pi-bonded electrons don't just float around a pair of atomic nuclei, they travel throughout the entire molecule. This same fortuitous event happens with silicon, only with sigma-bonded electrons. Hmmm...how interesting...

THE "Über Nerd"

I would want to talk about the mathematical aspects of theoretical physics. We could go on for days about how General Relativity is still taught using 40+ year old mathematics and is far to dependent on tensors (I learned my Riemannian Geometry coordinate free, which was great for visualization), or about group aspects of Gauge Theory (and applications of Lie Groups), or anything to do with Quantum Field Theory (I had the best instructor for that, and he was from the mathematics department). Even historical parts of physics would be fun. Like How differential geometry was in a slump until Relativity provided a need for more tools in that field (provided by Levi-Civita), or how both mathematics and physics came up with connections on manifolds after working independently of each other for nearly 30 years (and was finally realized shortly after C N Yang and R L Mills put forward the second real gauge theory, the first being Maxwell's equations).

I think it would be a great form! I moved to mathematics because there were no limits on what you could do with it, but I still hold a special place in my heart for physics.:)

does physics include how the third eye works and when foreseen future events gather enough energy to manifiest in reality? if so, then yes. if not, why don't you just talk about physics in this thread?:D

i do want to read the tao of physics someday.:)

you lost me :confused:
Oh how I wish I were a Q ... i would be able to learn all this in a day...move through time and space... lol :p

I wish I were 50% Vulcan, 50% Betazoid. Just imagine being a super smart Vulcan that can read people's minds just by being near them. Ah, the deviant mind at work...

All of that sounds about right... oh and chemistry_geek I too love the subject.. I kind of sit in the back of my chem class spending most of my time discussing string theory with my friend but I enjoy it very much, I came across this very cool redox reaction that allows one to silver plate the insides (or out, or wherever) of things - I've forgotten it, but If I remember it I'll post it. Physics are good, too - I'm reading this great book about superstrings, i think its called the Elegant Universe or something similar. But I think this proposed subsection should Include all of these topics, especially those pertaining to third eyes and sigma/pi bonded electrons.

Just my thoughts...
graham

Back