Things Apple forgot in OS X

My comments are about the way you minimize windows in OS X.
I have mentioned this to Apple, but only now did I realize HOW IMPORTANT it really is.
In my opinion the FUTURE of the Mac OS (and Apple computers) could depend on it.
(as far as being a pleasant OS and the leader in the graphic field is concerned)
Let\'s say I am working in my favorite graphics or webdesign program...Sometimes I am
working on 5 documents at the same time, copying and pasting from one document to the other.
If one or more documents (or pallettes for that matter) are in the way, I can just click the titlebalk
and it/they collapse to a neat bar. I can then drag them out of the way, but can easily find again when
I want to work on it again, coz\' they remain on the desktop.(this is such a COOL feature, only the Mac OS has it!)
Then I imagined the same scenario working in Mac OS X... HORROR!!Every document or palette would
dissappear into the dock BUT...in the dock are many, many icons already (no Apple menu, you see...)
What HORROR it will be to find the right document again between all those tiny icons...
(want to work on \'doc.1\'...first go to the dock, find it,work on it, click it to send it to the dock again,
want to work on \'doc.2\'...first go to the dock, find it, click it... NEED I GO ON?)
I really and strongly believe that the \'old\' way of minimizing SHOULD be maintained in OS X.
There SHOULD be an option to choose between OS 9 style and OS X style minimizing,
becoz when working in graphics or webdesign applications the \'new\' style is HIGHLY impractible!

If you agree with me, please go over to Apple\'s Mac OS X feedback page to voice your opinion
http://www.apple.com/macosx/beta/feedback.html

If we do it NOW we might still be in time!

Okee, thank you!

I love it when users, with valid UI concerns, determine that the future of the Mac depends on their selected quirk.

The Apple Menu, WindowShade, spring-loaded folders, and tabbed Windows are not going to make or break the Mac - especially since the Mac has survived most of its life without them!

I do agree that WindowShade should be included or a 3rd party patch created (like it was originally). I posted to X\'s feedback on this one a while back.

Thoughts in no particular order...

Easy su-ing - There is a little app called Pseudo, lets you drag any app\'s icon onto it, and enter the user id and password of the user as whom you want to run the app. So you can edit config files in ProjectBuilder or (shudder) TextEdit as root, without logging out. Similarly, I can let my girlfriend check her e-mail without logging out when I\'m in the middle of some work. It\'s a handy little utility. It\'s on stepwise, and probably versiontracker too.
Won\'t let you run multiple instances of an app though, so two copies of Desktop.app might be necessary. I just use RBrowser, which gives you the same abilities as the Finder, and a similar interface.

Virtual Desktops - I agree, they just ought to be there. VirtSpace and whatever other third party things are all well and good, but it should just be in the Desktop preferences. I guess many Mac users might get confused, but then you could keep it to one desktop by default...

Trash in the Dock - it would be fine ny me, if you could get contextual menus on Dock items. I like to right-click the Trash, and choose \"Empty Trash\" from the menu. Also, you just ought to be able make the Dock stick to one side of the screen, so that the trash doesn\'t keep blasted moving around all over the place.

Hopefully this is just a function of OS X being in beta, but there are far too many things that can be configured only by editing text files. How many people are going to realize that there is a firewall in OS X, but it\'s turned off by default (mumble haxor-bait grumble insecure mumfle). Hopefully, Apple will include a fairly straightforward, basic firewall preference tool, as well as making the default firewall settings something more sensible.

I just want to say I find virtual desktops absolutely useless. Actually I find they have negative utility.

It amuses me when eunuchs people grag about how many processes they can run at once when they don\'t have a UI which allows them to do multiple tasks at once with ease. I\'ve always enjoyed MacOS (especially since system 7.1) because I could more easily do several tasks at once. Whether it be dragging urls to open browsers in the background or using several monitors to make a larger desktop which is very useful for keeping items you want quick access to like an addressbook, chat, tcp monitors, telnet sessions, status windows, download managers, etc.

Key to using several applications at once is being able to see them all at once. I can always check the status of a chat window at a glance, or drag text between existing text in a background app. Virtual desktops defeat all of this, even scrolling ones. Why not develop smart window management software which shows and hides groups of windows if you want to create desktop space?

Hello,

Having developed Windows software and doing tech support for multiple platforms, I can say with confidence, many users do not like the freedom Strobe specified. Some users feel more comfortable in a modal environment i.e. wizards, single user mode, and others.

I know one of the Mac philosophies is \"The user should be in control.\" But many users just do not want the control. How does this tie into multiple desktops?

Multiple desktops enables the creation of modes; an application per desktop space. This kind of reminds me of \"Switcher\", the first multitasking hack on the Mac. I am certainly not saying that multiple desktops should be an integral or even an Apple supported part of Aqua. But it enables users to create an environment they are more comfortable with.

Personally, I wouldn\'t use it :)

Jove

scenario:
i got two email addresses mapped to one user on a server. I cant use both b/c mail.app sees the second entry as a duplicate (using the same user).

PAIN. apple needs to fix this, theres a lot of people who host multiple domains and need access to the same user with diff email addresses eg. webmaster@x.com, webmaster@y.com

scenario:
i got two email addresses mapped to one user on a server. I cant use both b/c mail.app sees the second entry as a duplicate (using the same user).

PAIN. apple needs to fix this, theres a lot of people who host multiple domains and need access to the same user with diff email addresses eg. webmaster@x.com, webmaster@y.com

This may be off topic now, but I just realized the one big thing that Apple forgot in OSX.

THE UNINSTALLER FOR OSX!!!

If you use a seperate partition, you should be able to get rid of it easily, but if it's on the same (only) partition as your 9, forget it. It's the biggest pain in the arse I've yet to encounter!

Hmmm,
Uninstaller, that is interesting. Has Apple ever delivered an OS unistaller?

I am redoing my iBook's HD partitions in preperation for March 24th. Luckily I installed the beta on a seperate partition. With how much mucking around I did in the beta - I just assume do a clean install.

Jove

Die Desktop, DIE DIE DIE!!!

Desktop is a time waster, mac users spend too much time organizing their windows to avoid covering it up. I've stopped using the Desktop in MacOS 9 and OS X (easier in MacOS 9 if you have ACTION Menus) and my productivity has zoomed!

Free yourself, stop using the desktop!

PS: I wish all download apps would use the global download directory "Internet" preferences. Do you hear me Omni?

Originally posted by IslandJordan
So, I guess I don't understand. I need to send mail from Earthlink AND from 2 people on the BU account. My roommate doesn't have a computer, and I want him to be able to send an email from mail.app with HIS name on them, without having to go in and change the preferences, and without having to restart the computer.

How would I do that? As far as I know, there is only one Outgoing Mail server you can enter. How do I enter multiple accounts?

Jordan

errrr... easy ... you enter multiple accounts in the preferences!:)
i send mail from five different accounts via mail.app ... no problemo there at all. plus, you can choose whether to collect mail from all these accounts in one mailbox or in several... :)

Originally posted by LunaMorena

Mail app supports multiple INCOMiNG accounts very easily... but only one outgoing email address. If you want to switch between mail addresses you have to go into the Preferences. You don't need more than one SMTP setting, but if there's support for multiple incoming accounts, there should be support for multiple outoing addresses as well. I don't want to have to switch my preferences every time I want to reply to an email sent to one of me secondary email accounts (which are usually set up for a reason; I don't want to reply to one of those messages with my primary address).

not so. open up mail.app and start up a new mail. look to the right of the mail window you've just opened. there's a pulldown menu from which you can choose which adress to use on an OUTGOING e-mail.

Originally posted by Tom

I love OSX and would dearly love to stick with it for everything but I can't as I have an Epson Stylus 760 printer. If I want to print anything, I have to re-start using OS9 - this is becoming more and more of a pain and consequently, I'm using OSX less and less. A shame but I need to print regularly :-(

here's a tip: i have the same problem: no printer support for my epson stylus 670... what i do is to save whatever i want to print as pdf in preview.app, then open it in adobe acrobat running under classic and print. it's slightly roundabout, but better than having to reboot ...

Sith:

Jesus, had to scroll all the way down to the end to finally see that someone (you) knew how to use mail.app

I couldn't understand their problems. I too send mail from 4 accounts and receive from 5. I can use the little pull down in the compose window to chose which account each message is sent from. What's the problem?

If you guys having problems need some help, email me and I'll be glad to walk you through it. It's not hard though...:)

apb3:

*lol* ... i find that's often the problem with os x 'problems': people just can't be bothered to learn something new... mail.app is a cool little program, it works just fine for me ...
but then i'm weird, apparently: i like the dock and i don't even miss the apple menu ... :p

Mail.app has as much basic account functionality as any version of Outlook did for me.

It seems that people's problems with OS X relate to their inability to make X match the OS 7 - 9 interface.

I hadn't touched a UNIX box in my life till now and I love it. It is like a whole new world of computing for me, and it makes me realize how boring the Mac OS classic can be once you know it.

Scott

xaqintosh, i see from your signature you've got the same setup my dad has ... i've been wondering whether it's worth installing x on his imac, so what would you say ? how happy are you with the performance on yours? is 128 mb enough? i'd be glad to hear your opinion...:)

Back