Thinking of switching but a ?

cbiker

Registered
I have been thinking of switching and getting a Power Mac duo or quad but I still need to work on MS Access data bases that I have built is it possable with virtual pc or does it slow down to much ? Will probably get 2 gig of ram. Thanks for any help in advance.

It should be possible with Virtual PC, and not too slow.

I should point out, if you're interested, that there is a version of MS Office for Mac that includes Virtual PC with Windows XP and Office for Windows all bundled as a complete set, so this might make things easier for you.

It will work; but be aware that it's not going to be a painless process. If you think you'll spend more time in Access than out of it, buy a $300 PC and save yourself unnecessary effort.

Virtual PC is best at simply being a way to run the occasional important program.

Just to be perfectly clear, Access isn't all that fantastic. In some cases (depending on the complexity and the front-end stuff), you can convert your Access databases to FileMaker Pro (via SQL I suppose), and then you'll be cross-platform forever after.

symphonix said:
... MS Office for Mac that includes Virtual PC with Windows XP and Office for Windows all bundled as a complete set, so this might make things easier for you.
MS Office 2004 Professional is a bundle of Office:mac 2004 and VPC 7 with Windows XP SP2. This bundle does not include Office:win.

I have several copys of Access so that is not a problem. I do like the idea of windows remote desktop client will look in to it.

texanpenguin said:
It will work; but be aware that it's not going to be a painless process. If you think you'll spend more time in Access than out of it, buy a $300 PC and save yourself unnecessary effort.

Virtual PC is best at simply being a way to run the occasional important program.

Just to be perfectly clear, Access isn't all that fantastic. In some cases (depending on the complexity and the front-end stuff), you can convert your Access databases to FileMaker Pro (via SQL I suppose), and then you'll be cross-platform forever after.
Is FileMaker as powerful as Access havent seen it my present access databases use quite abit of code does it convert the code? Does cross-platform mean one database design will work on Apple and MS? Thanks for the help.

The fact that FileMaker is the top DBMS on the Mac and the No. 2 DBMS is testimony to its power. Access is a proprietary POS which lends to very little interoperability between itself and other DBMSes. You might want to read this case study of a firm that converted from Access to SQL. Cross-platform means that one database design will work on Macintosh and Windows.

cbiker said:
Is FileMaker as powerful as Access havent seen it my present access databases use quite abit of code does it convert the code? Does cross-platform mean one database design will work on Apple and MS? Thanks for the help.

Filemaker is very powerful, and way easier to use than access. I have databases that I currently share between mac and pc and they function exactly the same, and look identical.

Back