This guy makes pimp-apps

themacko

Barking at the moon.
I found this Gnutella client called Aquisition a while ago, and it saved me from the eternal flames of java-hell that is LimeWire. If you've tried it out and had problems, they'll probably fixed in his next version (0.6) that was totally re-written in Objective-C and is comming shortly.

I check his site ( www.xlife.org ) from time to time to see how 0.6 is comming, it's not out yet but I was ver pleasently suprised by a new app called RadioFree.

This thing is just a 0.11 release, but it works great for me. I listen to the iTunes radio station 'Love Buzz' a lot, and I keep a spreadsheet file of songs that I want when I hear them play. What RadioFree does is download the streaming radio station song onto your Mac. I dunno, I think it's pretty awesome and I thought I should give this guy some props for making some very usefull and well-designed freeware.

www.xlife.org

Never have I really wanted an iPod... until now. This is great great stuff. I used to record the radio as a kid hoping to catch a good song. Except this sounds better. I can now have a revolving door of music... I get tired of things easily.

Oh, and as a public service, do yourself a favor and copy the URL for TOP SHELF jazz into radiofree. Good station. Cool, Peggy Lee just came on. MP3s are fun again! (am I jaded or what?)

Thanks for the link Macko.

Originally posted by themacko
This thing is just a 0.11 release, but it works great for me. I listen to the iTunes radio station 'Love Buzz' a lot, and I keep a spreadsheet file of songs that I want when I hear them play. What RadioFree does is download the streaming radio station song onto your Mac. I dunno, I think it's pretty awesome and I thought I should give this guy some props for making some very usefull and well-designed freeware.[/url]

It's freeware because, unfortunately, it's potentially illegal.

Any program that helps circumvent copyright mechanisms (like streaming) is illegal under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act. So, if any of the songs which Apple licenses for use with iTunes are copyrighted (which they all are), then if they wanted to, they could stop the distribution of the application (and more).

So, I guess get it while it's hot.

The guy doesn't promote the use of his applications for illegal purposes. That would be like suing Apple because it ships a UNIX system that some guy used to hack into the government servers. He probably just wants to give away some useful apps, and that's his prerogative. I agree that RadioFree ROCKS, though.

I know we've argued about this a dozen times before, GadgetLover, but I don't really give a **** about the DMCA. All it does is erode consumers rights. And now Congress wants to impose more legislation similar to the DMCA. As far as I care, the DMCA shouldn't be a law, and I don't feel the need to abide by it. Of course, I could still get thrown in jail for violating it, but I don't think it's a legitimate law.

I'm just wondering where the action AGAINST the DMCA is? I mean, it seems to have all died. If people don't take a stand against it then we'll just get more of these stupid laws and we'll eventually live in more of a police state (Yes, we already do now.) If the government had it their way we'd all be running Windows 95 with a timbuktu-ish app sending everything we type and have on our screen to government servers. Take a stand now or smile for big brother.

Make sure you do something to change it! Tell your congress persons and senators!!! They've got big-money whispering into their ears all the time, so we gotta make sure we get our concerns heard by communicating them! It's much easier to prevent a law from getting passed than getting it revoked.

Please vote! If you don't practice your citizenship right, then don't whine if you don't like the final outcome!

:)

-B

The thing is, though, if you're about to be sued under some provision of the DMCA, you've got 2 choices: 1. Hire a lawyer and be prepared for the fight of your life, 2. Surrender and use the "safe haven" provision to avoid being sued yourself. Based on what's gone on so far in the name of the DMCA, I suspect that #1 is a complete non-starter for most applications, especially freeware/opensource/Free software; the funds just don't exist in the quantity necessary to fend off Hilary and her thugs.

Choice #2 sucks, but for most folks, it's really the only viable option. We can all wax rebellious here pretty easily, but when they're knocking down your door, jail probably wouldn't seem like such a good idea after all.

What we can do is to write our lawmakers and let them know what we think. I know that it doesn't seem like much, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that in the US at least, there's an understanding with most congresscritters that for every letter they receive on a subject, there's 10 other constituents that feel the same way but have not written to express their opinions.

Important: If you haven't done so yet, please have a look at the latest EFF action alert regarding the CBDTPA and get your letters out as soon as possible. The deadline for public comment is 8 April 2002, and since paper-based, snail-mailed letters are generally taken more seriously, you'll have to allow for transit time through USPS. You may also want to donate some money to the EFF while you're at it.

Personally, I'm furious that now that we have the technology to make our (legal) copies of music and video more convenient than ever, the corporate entertainment cartel is doing all it can to neuter our ability to use these copies the way we want to, in order to protect their outdated business models.

I'm not plugging for anyone; I'm finding it too easy to get off on a rant on this subject... :(

Originally posted by simX
I don't really give a **** about the DMCA. All it does is erode consumers rights. And now Congress wants to impose more legislation similar to the DMCA. As far as I care, the DMCA shouldn't be a law, and I don't feel the need to abide by it. Of course, I could still get thrown in jail for violating it, but I don't think it's a legitimate law.

I don't disagree that it catches many Dolphins with the Tuna and that it is not a truly fair or workable law AT PRESENT, but my point was only that the software RadioFREE is inviolation of this lame law -- again, I think the DMCA sucks too. But it is still the law for now and people that make circumvention technology are presently being sued under it. No myth. I was just saying, if you want to DL the software, do it while it's still available 'cuz I could see the site getting shut down. That's all. Hey, I'm with you. But I do live by whatever laws exist -- I just protest them compliantly too.

I am using the digitalconsumer.org website to voice my opinion at present, but I want to start writing personalized letters to my representatives. Problem is, I'm a busy college student – I guess I could spend less time responding here and more time writing to my congressman. :p

I should note, though, that I can't vote yet. I will once I can, though, believe me. I'm fed up with the system at present, especially with Shrub as our President. However, since I probably shouldn't turn this into a political debate, I'll shut up about my political views.

It's freeware because, unfortunately, it's potentially illegal.

It's freeware out of principle. The cost is entirely unrelated to its legality.

The whole realm of internet radio is becoming a bit of a legal mess with the new <A HREF="http://www.saveinternetradio.org/">royalty demands</A> that are being imposed. You'll be lucky if many of your favorite radio streams are even around a year from now.

Now, I'm entirely clueless with regards to US copyright law (largely because I'm Canadian and generally don't care what's happening down south). It sounds like the the DMCA entirely does away with the concept of 'fair use'? In the past, was it legal to make personal copies of 'real' radio broadcasts?

my point was only that the software RadioFREE is inviolation of this lame law -- again, I think the DMCA sucks too. But it is still the law for now and people that make circumvention technology are presently being sued under it. No myth. I was just saying, if you want to DL the software, do it while it's still available 'cuz I could see the site getting shut down.

Is the product a violoation, or is the *use* of the product a violation? More relevant to me, how does the DMCA relate to non-US citizens? I realize I could investigate these issues myself, but perhaps someone has a quick answer.

Now, I'm probably being incredibly naive in even distributing Aquisition and RadioFree without legal consultation. However, if anything does ever happen, it'll probably be the impetus that drives me away from civilization and to a life as a hermit in the wilderness of northern Canada (something I greatly desire), so I won't mind.

Cheers,
Dave @ xlife

Originally posted by Porfiry

The whole realm of internet radio is becoming a bit of a legal mess with the new <A HREF="http://www.saveinternetradio.org/">royalty demands</A> that are being imposed. You'll be lucky if many of your favorite radio streams are even around a year from now.

I am an internet radio broadcaster (my station is called <a href="http://www.live365.com/play/20005">Freeform Goodness</a>) and it's pretty grim -- the record companies just want to kill the independent broadcasters. We don't pimp their product enough, I guess, since they can't ply us with payola to push mediocre no-talents like they can with Clear Channel and all the other big terrestrial radio broadcasters, so they'd rather choke us off than deal with the thought of a delivery medium not under their direct control.

Back