This may seem like an overly simplistic question for some

alra111

Registered
I have a video in 480p. I'd like to upscale it to 720p or possibly even 1080p. Is this possible with Final Cut Express?

Thanks so much for any help!

I guess it's possible, but why would you want to? Just feed it to the screen or projector you want to show it on and it _will_ be upscaled. Maybe (and just maybe) Final Cut Express will make a better job, but you really only need to upscale it in FCE if you want to mix it with other, actual 720p or 1080p content. And then it'll happen automatically. Just make a new project in either of the higher resolutions and import the 480p video. It'll be upscaled at rendering time, anyway.

Upscaling, though, does not really improve quality. It can only use what information is actually _there_ and _guess_ what should be inbetween.

Okay, you can do this with a few apps, but you wont want too. Upsizing video and image does nothing but add more pixels between the original ones, but of the same colors. what this means is that you will have a fuzzy, ugly, blurred, headache provoking video that will take up 4GB instead of 400MB. So in all actuality this is impossible. You cannot upgrade video or audio, only downgrade it. Although if you want to play the video on a 1080p or i, then just play the original file, it'll save space, time, and stress.

Back