Those Headphones at the Apple Stores

Flipsidejones

Registered
Ok... so I went to the opening of the tice's corner apple store in NJ earlier this month, and it was as cool as I'd hoped...

Now i am trying to recall something I saw there, and am having a hard time.

The computers that didnt have soundsticks or some other output method had a pair of /really/ nice Sony headphones. They actually sold them at the store. I believe they were priced at $149.99, and they were worth every penny.

In any case, I have been asked what model they were in case someone wanted to get them for me for christmas.... and i can't find them on sony's site.

The closest i got was the V700DJ, but the dont have the cloth covering that the pairs at the apple store had.

Anyway, does anyone remember what model number they were, or maybe have a url?

Thanks.

Oh yeah.. if you know of some other pair of headphones that would be as nice or better, let me know. :)

May be go to a store that specializes in records and gear for DJs - probably find the best and comfiest headphones there. Only thing would be, you might need an adapter to get them to plug into a mini jack, rather than the big fat gold-plated style plugs.

AKG headphones are great! many pro recording studios swear by them. I use them here.

this page lists all their headphones from the very very best to the least exspensive.

I know Tice's location and I know there is a Guitar Center nearby and I think a Sam Ash as well... both on rt 17 in the area of the Garden State Plaza

both places should have AKG headphones in stock - go to Guitar Center and try out a few pairs I am sure you will find a pair you like just as much!

you might wanna check out Sennheiser stuffs as well... I dunno if they're "DJ" stuffs, but they are great for listening. then you can get another friend to buy you a tube headphone amplifier...

I personally wouldn't go for that "lifestyle" thing... but that's just my personal preference

I haven't seen if my headphones are the same as the ones in the Apple store, but I have the same headphones that used to be featured next to the iMacs on the Apple online store. I can get the make and model when I get home from work if you wanna look into it.

I have those "over the back of your head" headphones that everyone seems to have.. bought em for about $20, and they turn my earlobes red after extended use :p dammit :p

I love those kind of headphones. They stay on so well. And I move around a lot when I listen to music too, so those are my favorite kind.

They're "ATA Neckband Headphones" and yeah, they're not expensive. I have no trouble w/them hurting my ears, in fact I have them because I can't wear any headphones that go over the top of my head for more than 10 minutes without getting nasty pain on the top of my head from them. These ones go behind the neck.

I love those Sony headphones. The model number is MDR80. There might be some hyphens in there somewhere.

Cheers.

-Rob

I was going to make a new thread for this, but since all of you audiophiles are already gathered together......

I'm looking into buying a mini-system/surround sound system

i'd liketop-notch sound (or at least very good) with small satelites, as few components as possible, dolby 5.1

price range: $10 - $800

Thanks guys, cant wait to see what you come up with,

GOT IT:D!
I only get irritated ear lobes when I wear my glasses and the earphones! must be that my glasses are putting more pressure on there ;)

Originally posted by Matrix Agent
I was going to make a new thread for this, but since all of you audiophiles are already gathered together......

I'm looking into buying a mini-system/surround sound system

i'd liketop-notch sound (or at least very good) with small satelites, as few components as possible, dolby 5.1

price range: $10 - $800

Thanks guys, cant wait to see what you come up with,

a bit surprised to see no reply for this yet...

anyway... I think people need some more info to make recommendations...

Do you have anything right now? If you have sources (DVD/CD...), that's a few hundred bucks for other stuffs...

how small do the speakers have to be? considering the budget, I think we can forget floor standers anyway... but when you say "small satellites" does that mean bookshelf speaker small or... small as Bose? (no, I'm not gonna recommend Bose... but I think that's something everyone has seen...)

Used equipment? I guess people have different opinions on this one... but I think you can get a receiver that's barely used pretty cheap. It won't be top of line, but it should have Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Digital... If you have sources already, then you can spend the rest of the money on a decent 5.1 speaker system.

if there's an audio store, you should prolly check it out... you might not like the sound of certain brand of speakers, etc...

anyway... I dunno if answering these questions will result in recommendations at all...

and... if you are married or live with a girlfriend... you should consult her... she might not want certain stuffs in "her" living room...

I have been to the stores around here and there are plenty of nice systems to choose from, but its never quite enough in the store to find "the one"

In addition i've found that many of the review sites online are skewed because there tends to be a lot of brand loyalty. So, of course i trust you guys because i know that you'ew all electronically inlclinde people who want the most for your money.

So about the system in greater detail:

Mainly i'd like a nice system that i can use this year, but wont be too hard to take with me when i move to college.

I would like the speakers to be wall mountable, but they dont need to be very compact. The size of the sony "DAV" speakers are very nice, though it didnt think it handled bass very well.

I would like this to be a single or double component system just for simplicity, i dont think now is the right time to get big into multiple consoles ($, Space, Ect.)

I've also seen that a lot of these systems come with DVD drives, which is nice, but i dont need it. The same with 5 disc changers, fine if its there, but i'm not going out of my way to buy one.

Instead of saying 5.1 mabey i should have said 5 speakers + subwoofer, the dolby isn't a requirement, i just want the amount of speakers, and the wireing that come along with it.

Thanks for the interest beef.:cool:

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V300 that my office bought for me to use at work. The sound from them I find absolutely phenominal. IIRC they are in the area of $50. The one problem with them is that everyone says they are uncomfortable. I found this too, but just had to get used to them. Now they feel like they are part of my head. :)

I would definitely get them again if I needed a pair. Plus they have a really long cord to swing around to the back of your computer.

Back