Thoughts on latest PM G5 upgrades?

if you want the extra ram slots, buy a refurb or old-stock 2.0 with PCI-X etc...

Lt Major Burns said:
what problems with the 23"?

Many users report really poor color due to pink and or yellow casting at different sides of the screen... unfortunately this has not gone away after numerous returns and refurbs...

I've heard some say that tiger has fixed this problem... but hadn't heard much corroboration.

If you need the screen for color critical work, I'd avoid the 23 until there's a definative track record without these problems... you can check apples support forums for display issues.

Oddly enough the 20" seem to be near defect free and excellent for color.

opus66 said:
Many users report really poor color due to pink and or yellow casting at different sides of the screen... unfortunately this has not gone away after numerous returns and refurbs...
I've got a relatively new (4 months) 23" Apple monitor - it's pixel perfect and no problems with colour casting...

It's WAY better than the "old style" 22 and 23" screens I've got... (I was using the 23" in the UK two Summers ago and the perspex got filled up with thunder flies! :)

The HD QT movies on the Apple site look amazing on it!

that's encouraging news... i hope it's a trend that continues everywhere (especially when the prices come down again)...

200 Mhz doesn't sound like much, but there is a corresponding increase in FSB speed. 1.25 GHz for the DP 2.5 and 1.35 GHz for the 2.7. It does make a difference.

It's the same thing with any processor upgrade. Do you think there's a huge performance difference between the P4 3.4 versus 3.6?

Doug

there's always been an FSB of exactly half the processor in the machine with the PowerMac G5s. Dells biggest fsb was 800mhz the last itme i looked. on a 3.2ghz machine... it was the same on their 2.2ghz machines... crippling.

applewhore said:
It's WAY better than the "old style" 22 and 23" screens I've got... (I was using the 23" in the UK two Summers ago and the perspex got filled up with thunder flies! :)

what do you mean? i was about to seriously buy a 23" old-style to replace my alu 20" cinema display. it was like $600 on ebay, and would give me so much more room. but i don't wanna buy a lemon...

probably about £450, depending on whether i go for a single 23", or just get onther 20" and have them dualled up. the choice being motion work (long timeline/many palettes/inspectors) or design/print, which i want to see a full A3 page at 100%

I recently thought about buying a 23" ACD to replace my Samsung 21" LCD, but after measuring the screens, you just don't get enough screen area to justify the cost, so I went with dual 20" and am really glad I did. Wouldn't go back to using a single screen. Now a 30" ACD, perhaps, but not until another round of price drops.

I have absolutely nothing against speed bumps of 200 MHz. As long as Apple starts doing them every three or four months at least - instead of every 9-12. Actually, I'd love the buying experience to be _this_ way: "Yes, Sir, we'll build that dual PowerMac for you. Let me check the newest G5 modules list from IBM. O-okay. Do you want two 3.2, 3.4 or 3.6 GHz SINGLE core processors or two 2.8, 3.0 or 3.2 GHz DUAL core processors in that machine? ONE dual core 3.2 GHz processor? Very fine, Sir. Good choice."

Lt. Major Burns,

Good point.

I didn't want to say anything about Intel's 800 MHz fsb because I haven't been keeping up on Intel processors for the last several months. I wasn't sure if they had gone beyond 800.

Doug

High end P4s have a 1066MHz FSB. I think that it's odd that the x86 side can crank up the clock speed of the CPU, but still be limited somewhat by the FSB. It's always been slow to catch up. Running a 3.2Ghz P4 with a FSB at 1/4 the speed has be holding back the P4 unless it simply can't saturate the bus enough data at higher speeds. It doesn't get mentioned much in CPU comparisons. And that the Mac has such high FSB speeds which seem to increase without any difficulty doesn't get mentioned much either. I think the FSB on the Mac is being held back on purpose so that it doesn't step on the next generation.

is there a reason why it's never higher than half? i mean, even on the high end models, it's still half? is there some theory that negates this?

Back