Thoughts on tabbed browsing

pensfan

Registered
When Safari first came out, a lot of folks began yelling for tabbed browsing. I hadn't used it before and was curious what the fuss might be about. As a result, at that time, I downloaded a browser (can't remember which) and tried tabbed browsing.
My reaction then was the same as it is now: What's the fuss?
Maybe I'm missing something, but at least from the way I work, I don't see the big deal about it.
I love Safari, but tabbed browsing is one thing I'm not in love with.
But I wonder if there is anyone out there who could make the case for it and convince me why I should be using it.
Kevin

i have used tabs for at least 4 years from now, and enjoy them. i hate having tens of windows open, it's faster knowing what you have and where. :)

Try opening a bookmark folder as tabs, then opening another window. Open another window, and bring up another folder of bookmarks as tabs. Repeat until satisfied. :)

I think that you cannot understand what Tabs is all about because of 2 reasons (at least 2):
-You aren't browsing THAT much
-You are browsing like this: load url-read contents-load another url-read-finish!

In order to really enjoy Tabs you should be browsing at Warp Speed >5 :p :D

Seriously though, I enjoyed Tabs since the first version of Opera at Windows which if I'm not mistaken wasn't even calling them Tabs! :rolleyes: Multiple browser windows instead of multiple Tabs are SOOOO 90's! SOOOO IE :p ;)

One serious application of Tabs is this:
-Let's just say you have to read 5 online newspapers
-Instead of opening 5 windows to read them and jump from window to window in order to read them you just...
-Open 1 window with 5 tabs in it automatically!!!
Without Tabs you have to open 5 windows (even with keyboard commands is at least 5 motions)... For those 5 windows you should click 5 bookmarks or even worst type those 5 urls... All these things in, say Safari, can be done with just 2 clicks!!! Imagine now if you browse daily at least 10-20-30 or even more than 50 sites!!! WOW!!! Lots of manual work for browsers like IE :p Not to mention the screen fragmentation from windows or even Dock/Taskbar fragmentation if one is not using Tabs!

Hello pensfan,

I browse daily. I have a folder, placed in my toolbar, with all my daily pages: 5 forums and 8 locations, such as Daypop.com, Zeldman.com, DiveIntoMark.org, etc.

I hate opening useless windows just as much as I hate popups. Tabbed browsing is a solution for me because I can:
- open all my daily booksmarks in a single click
- and this in only one window wher eI can easily switch from one page to another.

i don't think there is a good answer to your question. tabbed browsing is a great option and should be incorporated into all web browsers because it reduces window clutter. however, it doesn't solve a lot of problems that exist with the internet and they way we view web pages.
regardless of wether you are using a tabbed browser or a multi-window browser, there is still something unnatural about browsing the web.
i haven't seen anything thus far that is intuitive.
you always have to know something about what a url is, and what http means in order to browse the web effectively. so remember that when the debate rages about wether tabbed or windowed browsing is better, think about all the morons out there that just found out how to use their mouse.

If you have a third party mosue with a wheel that also functions as a third button, and if you use Camino web browser you can middle-click on links and have them opened in a new background tab. Here's where that's useful:

Say you're browsing a news site (slashdot, TheRegister, OSnews) you can open up a bunch of articles at the same time. I just go down the list and whenever I see an interesting article I open it in a new tab. Back in the day when I had 56K modem I'd just open them and start reading the first one that finish loading. By the time I'm done reading the rest would have finished loading so I just go on with that.

Tab browsing should be more popular with office workers who surf while at work. You can close or hide one window and that takes care of all those tabs. So you can be at many places and when the boss sneaks up on you you don't have to rush to close ALL your playful windows, just one!

Originally posted by Lycander
Tab browsing should be more popular with office workers who surf while at work. You can close or hide one window and that takes care of all those tabs. So you can be at many places and when the boss sneaks up on you you don't have to rush to close ALL your playful windows, just one!

Ha ha ha! He he he! Ha ha! Stop it! That was a nice one! Ha ha ha :D ;)

Well, shows who is smartest in my family! It's the wife!
In my toolbar, I had a bunch of individual sites, not folders, so I couldn't understand the benefits of tabbed browsing.
Recently, I put folders in my toolbar because I have such an overwhelming amount of bookmarks and I put folders of the ones I use most in the toolbar.
Now I understand about tabbed browsing.
Thanks, everyone (and especially you, Betsy!)
Kevin

Back