Three beeps goodnight...

Calsoldier

Registered
Hey guys,

Well, recently coming form PC's, I was excited to have a reliable computer, without viruses, etc. So I got my 1.5ghz PB with 512mb RAM, and today, two weeks after I bought it, I turn the computer on and get three beeps, and nothing happens.

Called AppleCare, they took me through the procedure of switching Memory sticks. We switched the 512stick from the bottom bank to the top bank, and the computer started back up without a problem. Seems like the logic board is bad, and the bottom Ram bank is dead. I didn't expect this from a Mac, yet a 2 week old one.

What do you guys think? What could have caused this?

Anyways, I'm very happy with the PB so far, but I'm hoping these types of problems don't occur very often. Right now I'm running on the top Ram bank, but will be sending the PB in the summer for repairs (can't do it now because I'm in school and need the laptop).

Oleg

Oleg...sounds like you got a little unlucky...allthough macs are known to be much more stable than Pc's, hardware problems do arise from time to time...in this case being the common problem of bad RAM slots in the 15" powerbooks...Apple is currently working on fixing the issue and promises all customers that they will fix and reinburse you for your time should this problem arise...hope that helps oleg, by the way, nice name

That is rare that something would happen like that. A week after my warranty ran out on my Prismo G3, the same thing happen. Apple kindly replaced the logic board, processor, and hard-drive. Other than that, all my Macs have never had trouble, when my G3 did, Apple was great to deal with, and obviously went beyond what any other company would do.

Back