Three years and counting...

RacerX

Old Rhapsody User
I hadn't noticed the date, but about a week ago (Sept 13th actually) Mac OS X had it's third anniversary of being available to the general public (originally in the form of Mac OS X Public Beta).

Some of us have been using Mac OS X for three years now (and some of us even longer than that).

I was wondering when you guys started using Mac OS X. Also, what was your first reactions to it and what do you think of it's current incarnations?

On the same theme, did any of you use any of the versions that came before it? I mean like the Developer Previews, Mac OS X Server 1.x, Rhapsody, OPENSTEP or NEXTSTEP. What did you guys think of it's evolution?

My first use of OS X came about the end of last year when my dad bought my iMac from a friend of his, and it had 10.2 on it. I had used the system before that, but not extensively, and this was my chance to see what I could do with it. Unfortunately, OS X isn't the appropriate OS for me right now, but someday I will use it regularly.

I think the system is heading in the right direction, with one exception: Apple needs to lose the obsession with brushed metal!

First reaction was: "I'll never use this thing before they release version 11 or 12."

That was when I ran MacOS X.1 on my Indigo G3/500 for the first time. I spent 6 months on OS9 only then moreorless switched without too much problems. The fact I got a DSL line to download programs and upgrades helped a lot.

Hmm...from stat-ing my drive, it appears I installed it somewhere around Nov 20, 2000. I forget which iteration of OS X that was. :p

As to how I felt about it, I was ecstatic. I'd been using OS 9 & Linux side by side for the 5 previous years. Seemed like a great thing to me. Still does :)

I never did get a hold of Rhapsody or any of the *Steps. I probably would have enjoyed 'em if I had.

Back