Ti or iBook Dual USB as full time OS X computer?

PowerBookDude

Registered
I'm having a hard time decaiding which laptop I should use as my full time OS X computer.

Ti 500 384MB RAM or iBook 500 256MB RAM. I know the Ti will be the faster then the iBook. But the iBook may be better for me.

See the OS X laptop will be moving a lot as the other laptop will not be moving AT ALL and running OS 9.

The pros for the iBook would be:

1. Size
2. Wieght
3. Quite fan.
4. Better Airport reception.

Cons:

1. Smaller screen
2. Less RAM
3. Slower

Pros for Ti:

1. Bigger screen
2. Faster

Cons:

1. Bad Airport recption
2. Heavier
3. Wider
4. LOAD fan

One thing that seems funny is that the iBook seems gets hotter then the Ti.

I guess the iBook would be better. Even though I want to use the Ti.

Please help me with this.

Thanks!

PBDude

I can't say I've done a comparison, because I haven't at all, but if you want to be able to use OSX to the best of its ability, then stick it on the Ti. Judging by the performance complaints of people who post here, it seems the G3s have more to worry about beachball-wise. And anyway, I've found that X is by far the more 'portable' system, especially if you're looking at plugging into other people's LANs

Originally posted by tismey
I can't say I've done a comparison, because I haven't at all, but if you want to be able to use OSX to the best of its ability, then stick it on the Ti. Judging by the performance complaints of people who post here, it seems the G3s have more to worry about beachball-wise. And anyway, I've found that X is by far the more 'portable' system, especially if you're looking at plugging into other people's LANs

But did you read the review of 5G24(?) at MacOSX.org by iDriveX?

He said it was even fast on his 266MHz!!!! Wallstreet! Now that is neat. :)

I think I must go with the iBook even the though I want to use my Ti. I think the iBook will be plenty fast when 10.1 ships.

Question: Why Not Both?

I run X on TiBook, because that's all I have. I don't see why you cannot run X on both, use them first, then decide.

This very moment I'm running OS 10.0 (4K78), 128 MB, PPC G3, SE Graphite iBook and I've never had such a great computer to work on in my life!
My friend currently runs OS 10.0 (4K78) on his Ti 500 and it works fine. But I prefer the iBook, personally, due to it's speed, it's perfect sized screen, and it's motor sounds I like it more than the Ti.

It really depends on what you want personally! I use this iBook as my full time computer, for gaming, for coding, for websites whatever, and I love it! But you may want something a bit different.

Thanks for the help.

I'm going with my Ti rather then my iBook Combo Drive for fulltime. This is due to the Ti's speed and bigger screen.

Thanks for the help!

Can't you just grab the memory expansion from you Ti and put it in your iBook, and vice-versa?

I think you should stick with your Ibook.

You are already admitting in your thread that the Ibook is better to drag around. And i personally think that the speed difference between the two machines isn't that big. And there comes Airport compatibility, don't even mention the Ti.

Last but not least, i'd rather have a smaller screen and a quite fan, than a 1inch bigger screen and a loud fan.

William

cyberwj: That's why it all depends on personal opinions. Because: i use my iBook at home, nowhere else, which makes the fan and screen no problem. But if I were to bring it to school or work, that might be a completely different subject! :)

Back