tibook audio in

frgee

Registered
has anyone found a reasonable solution for getting audio in on the tibook?

i haven't found any decent pcmcia cards, except one that goes for 800 bucks.

thanks for any help

I tried my iMic on a demo of Sound Studio ( http://www.felttip.com ) and it's level's are a bit low going in using my old plaintalk microphone. Also... it's only recording into the left channel, while the right channel gets silence. But maybe I just got a faulty one. Anyone else with iMic iNfo?

Originally posted by adambyte
I tried my iMic on a demo of Sound Studio ( [url]http://www.felttip.com )[/URL] and it's level's are a bit low going in using my old plaintalk microphone. Also... it's only recording into the left channel, while the right channel gets silence. But maybe I just got a faulty one. Anyone else with iMic iNfo?

Isn't the plug on the plaintalk microphone longer than the usual 3.5mm stereo plug? That would explain the left-channel only bit. And I think I remember the plaintalk mic being powered, but don't hold me to that...

Did you get a chance to play with it using a line-level input?

Yeah, there's a line-level switch on the thing. In one position, I get no results whatsoever, and in the other, I get the above results. Also, yeah, the PlainTalk microphone plug is longer than the standard ones you see on normal PC microphones and such... but as I recall, I think the packaging said something about actually being able to use the PlainTalk mic... (or maybe I'm just going nuts) but yeah, only one channel with my plaintalk mic with the long plug, which kinda sticks out about half a cm...

And now I just tried it with one of the really Old-School Apple Microphones... the precursor to the Plaintalk, the one with a standard size plug, which looks like a little smoke detector with a wire sticking out of it. Same results. one channel using same switch position.

I could just be an odd case, though... which is why I'm hoping SOMEone else got one and has good results...

I use the line input on my iMic quite regularly for MP3ing my vinyl, and it's really good. I have no problems getting a decent level at all. In fact, for some of it (particularly hip-hop stuff), it's been difficult getting the level DOWN so that the bass doesn't distort.

Have you tried using a different package? I found that Soundstudio screwed up the playback of files I'd edited. I switched to Amadeus , which is not only $10 cheaper, but can save directly to MP3.

Is it shipping yet? Last time I spoke to someone, it wasn't available, but then I am in the UK so that probably makes a difference with these things.

Anyway, as far as I could glean from the people I spoke to at MacExpo, then main difference between the Powerwave and the iMic is the powered output, so you can plug speakers directly into it. They seemed to think that the sound in capabilities wouldn't be that different. Mind you, they didn't have one to demo, so that could all just be guesswork on their part.

I was wondering how the iMic is at recording instruments. I'm interested in a CHEAP way to record a guitar, vocals, keyboard and drum machine with my TiBook. Does any latency occur with an iMic? Is it compatible with Pro Tools Free?

If anyone has had experiences with this please let me know.

Thanks

PB 550/combo/20g/768mb

For the time being, I've been using my 333 iMac (built-in audio-in) with Pro Tools Free. Check out a song I recorded with my old but glorius blueberry:
http://www.mp3.com/saejin

Any help will be appreciated. one love.

Griffin make a point of saying that it's only a $35 device, so you shouldn't expect too much of it. I've had limited success trying to overdub scratches over mixes I've already recorded, but I guess it's a different kettle of fish if you're trying to record a whole set-up.

I can see no reasone why it wouldn't be compatible with protools, as all it is is a USB audio input, but I haven't tried it. When I get back to my Mac I'll give it a go if you like.

For 35 bucks I'll probably end up getting one anyway. I assume that it would act the same as the built-in audio-in ports of older macs. My only concern is the usb input being too slow to record with no latency. As with my iMac, I only plan to record one instrument at a time. Please let me know if you give it a go.

Thanks a lot for your reply. cheers

i should probably start a new thread, but figured if you were reading this one you would know the answers.

does anyone know of any good mixing software for osx? i have a concert recorded and i need to bring in the 4 tracks and fix each one and mix them into one. so, i want at least four track capability with some normalization and effects.

thanks.

I have an iMic and used it a few times to convert audible content into MP3's... since Audible have seen fit to not release any kind of OSX player I find it easier for me to loop-back the audio out into the iMic and record the Audible output for later playback as an MP3. I used SoundStudio OSX for this and while it's basic, it works. Can't vouch for quality of audio, since my audible content is at most 32kbs anyway.

:)

For some reason, my 667 Powerbook Ti is not recognizing my internal mic anymore. I used it a month ago to record some viynl and now when I try to plug in a mic, the OS's Sound Properties does not recognize the Input. The Internal mic works but that sounds like arse.

Was there an OS X update that killed this? I can not believe that this was pooched by usiing a line level off of my stereo for a few sessions from the reciever/amp...

anyone have similar problems?

sspooner, doesn't iTunes supposts Audible?

frgee, there's lots of excellent multitracking software for osx - Cubase SX, Logic, Pro Tools. They're all quite expensive though, if you just need to mix 4 tracks and you still have OS9 installed you can get a free version of Pro Tools 5 from Digidesign that will do up to 8 audio tracks and has some pretty decent RTAS plugins included.

Back