TiBook audio problem / speakers dead.

pwolfe1

Registered
OK, here's the deal. My internal speakers are totally dead. there is no sound coming from them whatsever. The volume is turned up all the way too, so please don't ask. :( Playing audio through the headphone jacks only plays the right channel.

I went to the preference pane for audio and lo and behold. there is no entry for internal speakers. Should there be? And the balance is set to center for headphones.

here's a screenshot of that window so you can see what I mean:

speakerprob.sized.jpg

Any ideas? I'm totally stumped.

I don't have any entry for the internal speakers on my iMac. Sounds like your problem may be with headphone jack connection. A bad connection will often drop out a channel, and inserting the headphone jack automatically disables the internal speakers, so perhaps your PB just thinks your headphones are plugged in. Try gently fiddling with the jack, pushing it as far in as it will go, then slowly withdrawing it while applying pressure at various angles. Then take a cold shower.

Good ideas andychrist had!
I have also a tibook. When I use headphones, I found out that I can "change the sound" a lot if I screw it a bit out or in. It's sometimes a sort of fine tuning..
As andychrist said: could be your jack is kinda blocked and your tibook thinks there are headphones plugged eventhough when there are none. The screenshot you made, was it with headphones plugged? I have the same pic just saying "Internal speakers". Would be interesting to know if this still remains once you unplugged the headphones.

I noticed the same thing Zammy-Sam. Before they died altogether that is. I just did the apple hardware test, and also reset the open firmware. nothing changed. The problem still exists. I think I'm gonna have to send it in to apple. that sucks.

Zammy-Sam, you hit the nail on the head! Just realized, I had my amplified speakers plugged in to the headphone connection; when I unplugged them, Internal speakers showed up in the preference pane and Headphones disappeared. So Pwolfe1, if you are seeing Headphones when they are not plugged in, then there is probably something going on with the jack.
Now I can't think of anything funny to say.

So, where is Flo? He has a very similar problem...
Did you try check how the System Preferences change once you have the headphones unplugged, pwolfe1?

the needel..

i fiddles around with a needle. sometimes the display changes to" internal speakers" but it never stays like that. i would be interested if it is a mechanical contact sensing if headphones are jacked in, or an electrical contact.. any techis out there?

Back