TiBook: When does your fan start running?

sebhoff

Registered
I'm interested to hear what it takes for other people's TiBook to set the fan running (on the first level).

I have a TiBook 550MhZ with 512MB of RAM, Running 10.1.5. Hardly any special software is installed - just one or two extra UNIX-daemons running in the background. Looking at "top" in the shell during a typical work situation, Word takes up 13% of CPU-power, Explorer about 7% (unless I start browsing, then it can go up much higher). And "top" itself takes an amazing 10-12 percent (but that's a well-known fact). Eudora and the other running apps don't seem to contribute much to overall CPU-load.

A typical value for the load average is:
Load Avg: 0.87, 0.81, 0.77 CPU usage: 27.0% user, 13.9% sys, 59.0% idle

Sometimes, the first two values go up as high as 1.30 or so, particularly while browsing with IE. But on average, all values are below 1.00. In CPU-Monitor, the CPU-load oscillates between 1/3 of the scale and 3 bars below maximum, with occasional peaks above that.

My fan has now been running for well over an hour. I somehow think that this can't be normal - but would like to know more before I add it to the list of items that need to be fixed in my PB... ;-)

The temperature in my room is normal (I guess about 22 degrees) and the PB is not exposed to direct sunlight.

Any hints, fan-usage reports, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Sebastian

I have a first revision TiBook, 500, and there's only two modes for this fan.... on and off.... and it usually goes on when I'm using Photoshop 4 in classic mode.... or, when I'm ripping CDs....

Back