TiBookers who want Quartz Extreme, unite! (Other unsupported ones, too!)

adambyte

Registered
According to Apple-history.com, my PowerBook G4 500 has...

VRAM: 8 MB (ATI RAGE 128 Mobility 2x AGP)

and Apple's web page (http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversion ) says Quartz Extreme needs one of these....

*nVidia: GeForce2MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 Ti, GeForce4 or GeForce4MX. ATI: any AGP Radeon card. 32MB VRAM recommended for optimum performance.

So this means that "Quartz Extreme" will not be supported on my PowerBook G4. Does anybody else think it rediculous that their 1 year old machine will not be able to take advantage of hardware acceleration? My graphics chip will just be sitting around, doing absolutely nothing. I say put the little bugger to use!

Please, Apple. If you can support nVidia and Radeon, please take the time to accelerate our PowerBook G4s.

Originally posted by adambyte
According to Apple-history.com, my PowerBook G4 500 has...

VRAM: 8 MB (ATI RAGE 128 Mobility 2x AGP)

So this means that "Quartz Extreme" will not be supported on my PowerBook G4. Does anybody else think it rediculous that their 1 year old machine will not be able to take advantage of hardware acceleration?

Please, Apple. If you can support nVidia and Radeon, please take the time to accelerate our PowerBook G4s.

Absolute and full agreement. I can live with the G3 iMacs not benefiting, but I cannot believe that Apple knew nothing of the next generation OS requirements a year ago when I bought mine.

Some upgrade policy, at a fair price, is essential, IMHO.

How can we put pressure on them, when they sell the newer PBs and can simply tell us to upgrade.

Maybe pressure to force Apple into some policy of two years of "guaranteed non-obsolescence", with heavily subsidised upgrade of hardware should this not happen.

In my dreams.
:(

Originally posted by macraptor
Maybe pressure to force Apple into some policy of two years of "guaranteed non-obsolescence", with heavily subsidised upgrade of hardware should this not happen.

Dream on! :D

Was the radeon mobility even available when you bought your powerbook?

I'm not saying your predicament doesn't suck, but your hardware is far from obsolete... you're only not going to be able to offload the considerable load of quartz onto your considerably less able ATI Rage chip.

Portable graphics is usually a step behind desktop graphics, and Apple isn't supporting older PCI based G4's either... if you're going to be up in arms about this, fight for them too, because it's the same battle.

If I understand correctly, they're looking to offload the entirety of 2D and 3D graphics display to the video card. This is a collassal feat. Pray for an upgrade... at least you have AGP based graphics. I know people with older G4's who won't be able to take advantage of this technology, and have no remotely possible upgrade path.

Remember that by the time this comes out (late summer) your machine will be closer to 16 months old or more and according to many surveys (at least from PC point of view) 18 months is the life of a computer. 18 months for the *life* of a PC and your's is still usable, just not on the top.

Yeah, I know, this thing is going to have it's 18 month point in a while, but still... it's not like this is the iBook from a year ago.... this is a PowerBook G4, dangit. It's got extra power that's going to go unused, that's all. Kinda sad. Oh well. I'm going to sit and cross my fingers for Apple support, or some sort of unix hack or something...

Back