Tickled pink with Panther printer sharing...

btoneill

keeper of the cheese
The title says it all. I finally got around to getting my printers installed on my box. Setup my HP Deskjet 845c and HP Photosmart 130 with the latest HP drivers, and I was actually impressed, they are starting to be decent drivers, the P130 even shows ink levels! So, I get them setup on my box, and can print, yay!

Now, for the hard part, getting them to work over the network. With Jaguar I went thru all the fun of messing with CUPS manually to get things to work over the network, it was a bear to get working right. So, with Panther I decided "what the hey, I'll do what a normal user does, I'll click on print sharing in the Sharing control panel". So, I click it, it says it's on... I don't believe it. So, I wander into the other room to my wifes new iMac. I download the drivers for the printers and install them (I actaully don't think I needed to do this, just did it to be safe). I then open up the printer utility, and there is a pretty little section with a drop-down arrow "Shared printers". Wow, this is new I think. So, I highlight one, set it as default. I then go into mail to print, the print menu comes up, and when I select the printer, wow, it has "Shared printers" listed, so I pick the one I want, and magically it actually printed! I looked out side, and the world hadn't ended, the sky hadn't fallen, and I pinched myself and I wasn't dreaming!

Low and behold, Apple finally made print sharing work!!! I have now decided the Rendezous really really rocks, and not just for iTunes anymore :)

OK, I'm over the joy now... kinda... back to your regularly scheduled problems, complaints, and whining :)

Brian

You're right, you do not have to install the drivers on the other machines. It is very simple to setup, even for sharing to a WindowsXP machine, but with a couple more steps on the XP.

Back