Tiger 10.4.4 gcc and libgcc.a

redwards

Registered
I'm trying to compile some academic freeware on a powerbook G4 running 10.4.4. I've compiled this successfully before in linux. It fails with

/usr/bin/ld: can't open: /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc.a (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

the relevant directory seems to be ...darwin8/4.0.1 on my system. I've seen some references to this/similar problems on the web related to problems with gcc and links??
My knowledge is too limited to really understand the problem or deduce a fix, so any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Many thanks,
Rose Edwards

redwards said:
I'm trying to compile some academic freeware on a powerbook G4 running 10.4.4. I've compiled this successfully before in linux. It fails with

/usr/bin/ld: can't open: /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc.a (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

the relevant directory seems to be ...darwin8/4.0.1 on my system. I've seen some references to this/similar problems on the web related to problems with gcc and links??
My knowledge is too limited to really understand the problem or deduce a fix, so any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Many thanks,
Rose Edwards

make sure you have the newest version of the developer tools installed (Xcode 2.2). It enables the gcc compiler function in the terminal. Other than that I'm not sure what the problem would be, but I know when I upgraded to 10.4.4 and was still using an older version of Xcode it wouldnt allow me to compile and gave me a similar error message.

Back