tiger acct. is there, and it isn't there

vernon coffee

Registered
Looking for very knowledgable Terminal/ Unix/ Apple person to guide advanced beginner with Acct problem- one coach on a different forum took 3 days with little improvement.

I had multiple accts on Quicksilver/1.1 gb ram/ OS Tiger.11
I changed the long name of 1 acct. in Sys Pref, then some time later changed it back... almost (I later figured out it was probably to the short name of a different acct.)

Anyhow, after logging-out and back in, Programs started offering startup screens when I wanted to use them for a few days.
When I did a cold boot, Tiger openned with its start up screen and my main acct. (with all the preferences ) no longer shows up on loggin screen. Stranglely, even though there is no longer a Home: for it, I can R/W to it's files using Finder from other accts.

User directory:
corey- empty
corey00- adm only
design- for projects
dv- old acct. no Home: or login
Shared-
vernon- new acct. hopefully to recieve files from old acct "dv"

Login Screen
corey00
design01
vernon01

If dv account can't be restored, can I insert all the files or the Library, or at least the preference files from it into new vernon acct?

Help Appreciated.

Last edited:
You will need to enable root in netinfo manager. Then log in as root and go back to netinfo manager to fix all all the names. Not to mention change the former admin accounts from standard (a result of changing account names) back to admin accounts. This is why its not a good idea to screw around with account names with a Unix file permissions structure.

Ok, thanks. Understand warning, would have been useful if Apple had posted it on Sys Pref, instead of making change so easy to do : )

I need a level simpler on instructions- what is the procedure for enabling netinfo manager.

I need a level simpler on instructions- what is the procedure for enabling netinfo manager.

First you should be aware of this. Due to this I'm not going to walk someone through a crash course on netinfo manager through a free forum thread due to the extreme sensitivity of the task (and I'd rather be in front of the machine getting paid for my time and knowledge). Also you should make an image of your drive before doing this if you have any regard for your data. Then you can follow along here to see if any of this makes sense. If that is too complicated to follow then netinfo manager is something you are probably not ready for.

I looked it up in Mac help and have activated root user.
I understand your position. Found Apple link and will review 47 steps later today.

Last edited:
I couldn't follow the last part of the rename procedure havigng to do with keychain, I never have been able to understand the format of that window. I hope that isn't a hole I will fall in later on.

but as far as getting my files in a working Home: folder, your links pretty much covered what i needed to know, thank you.

I am having one problem with iTunes. iTunes seems to have my files and will play, but I tried to rip a CD and got the error message:

You don't have access to your iTunes Media folder or a folder within it.
I "Info ed" iTunes and iTunes Music and made sure the ownership was RW for the Home: acct. but it still gives the same err.

don't know if this should be reposted as new topic

It might be related to the keychain. Go to the root of the HD, then library/keychains and trash whats inside the keychain folder. Restart and hopefully it should work.

Vernon,

With all dues respect to the NetInfo crusader, you do not have any business in this Utility, the wrong move will lock your computer like a bike rack. The best thing for you to do is to create a brand new profile in System Preferences\User Accounts "Hit plus ect". Use the drop box to migrate all of your files and delete the old account(s). I remember one time i did exactly what you did and i got the profile desktop of one account and the dock bar of another. I had i Linux expert on hand and he's all in the terminal trying to delete accounts and couldn't.

Once you have created the new profile, Go to Applications\Utilities\Disk Utility.app:
Click First Aid Tab on top - Click Repair Disk Permissions - Over and Over until either the entries are the same ones every time or disappear altogether.

Try this and let me know how this turns out

Best of luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Back