Tiger Apple Mail Messages Hidden

zbartrout

Registered
Hi-

I have a strange problem where the mail I tranfered from the most recent version of Panther meticulously following all steps related to updates, permissions, back-ups ,etc to Tiger.
I then installed the most recent Tiger updates and rebuilt the permissions again.

My problems is that some of my mail folders no longer display any messages. The most diconcerting is my Sent Mail. Many of the folders have numbers of unread messages next to them, but no messages show up when they are clicked/opened.

I have tried restarting and rebuilding each of the mailboxes. Neither helped.

I do have my Mail backed-up, but I don't think that will work any better.

Any ideas?

Best,
Scott

zbartrout said:
Hi-

I have a strange problem where the mail I tranfered from the most recent version of Panther meticulously following all steps related to updates, permissions, back-ups ,etc to Tiger.
I then installed the most recent Tiger updates and rebuilt the permissions again.

My problems is that some of my mail folders no longer display any messages. The most diconcerting is my Sent Mail. Many of the folders have numbers of unread messages next to them, but no messages show up when they are clicked/opened.

I have tried restarting and rebuilding each of the mailboxes. Neither helped.

I do have my Mail backed-up, but I don't think that will work any better.

Any ideas?

Best,
Scott

I too seem to have evoked this issue. this was a perfectly working install of Tiger (1+ months old). I have tried rolling back the mail folder and preferences to numerous backed up copies (3 separate backups) but the Mail application seems to keep making them dissapear in the application itself. The email messages are on my computer in the correct folders, just not displaying in the mail application.

Also, if you rebuild the mailboxes, the emails show up briefly but it you click on any other mailbox, trash, etc, they disappear from view again. :/

I wanted to check the apple discussions to see if anyone else had the same issue, but the server seems to be down at the moment.
I checked console log to see what was happening and here is what I saw:

2005-07-11 04:06:22.390 Mail[246] Exception raised during monitored invocation of _backgroundMergeMessages:, exception: *** -[ConcreteMessageMall compareByNumberMessage:andMessage:sortedAscending:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x4a1880]
2005-07-11 04:06:22.391 Mail[246] +[NSObject(LockingAdditions) clearLocks]: object 0x4a1880 still holds lock (count=2) in thread 0x1913400

I to have had this issue recently, and from my research, it seems that is a known problem by Apple, with no definitive fix. Apparently it can be cuased by having a mbox file that is over a theoretical 2gb limit.

There is an apple document on this. I dont recall the id number. However it claims that doing a rebuild might remedy the situation (yeah right!). It also (funny enough) claims that this can happen at random times and that a mbox file may not even reach 2gb before this occurs. Wow! Talk about really knowing what is going on with the OS that you sell.

The 2 GB per mailbox is roughly until what it tolerates.. so keep the mailboxes smaller than that.

Also, smart mailboxes could cause the messages not show. I've seen cases when it was simply fixed by deleting the smart mailboxes. I had as well 700 messages vanish from my inbox with a new rule - instead of moving those messages where it was supposed to, it deleted them, not only from my inbox but IMAP server too (and it wasn't even a 'smart' mailbox).

Any smart mailboxes to try without?
Sizes of the mailboxes?
Old or new rules in mail?

Your sent mail is keeping a copy of sent stuff on your Mac or the server? Use the AppleScript to get the size of the mailboxes, it could be if you have never emptied the sent mail from when you installed Panther it could be sort of big.

well I checked the size of my mail folder, 3000 emails and it only reaches 200 MB. not in quite in the vicinity of the 2GB threshold mentioned. I was able to get my IMAP (.mac) account to come back to visible status when I ran the 10.4.1 standalone update, and after that rebuilding the .mac email folder.
My pop emails are still invisible but I believe if I empty out their folders and re-download them (or delete the accounts and re-add them), they may be resolved. It's 3 am and I got work tomorrow so maybe tomorrow evening I'll get attempt to get it to work. Thanks for your suggestions and information.
I am still getting errors logged in console from mail...
2005-07-11 14:24:02.686 Mail[396] *** -[ConcreteMessageMall compareByNumberMessage:andMessage:sortedAscending:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x4a4640]
2005-07-11 14:24:02.686 Mail[396] Exception raised during monitored invocation of _backgroundMergeMessages:, exception: *** -[ConcreteMessageMall compareByNumberMessage:andMessage:sortedAscending:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x4a4640]
2005-07-11 14:24:02.686 Mail[396] +[NSObject(LockingAdditions) clearLocks]: object 0x4a4640 still holds lock (count=2) in thread 0x1905000

Check your version of mail... I just discovered that I was launching a previous version of mail (mail 2.0) rather than mail 2.0.1 and now I can see my mail no problem right now (knocks on wood) :D
Now back to sleep I go...

Giaguara said:
Use the AppleScript to get the size of the mailboxes, it could be if you have never emptied the sent mail from when you installed Panther it could be sort of big.

Where can I find that script? That is what I am trying to get in order to split up the mailbox file.

Back