Tiger blinded by Windows

MoNkeY mAgIc

Simian Deformity
Hi,

Just installed Tiger.

Spotlight is very cool.

Anyway I'm having real problems connecting to Windows computers on our network (it all worked fine and dandy with panther).

I'm using SMB and it's getting as far as asking me to authenticate. It then fails saying:

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in smb://domainserver" could not be read or written. (Error code -36)"

Also when browsing from a Finder window it does the same but after authentication it says:

"The alias domainserver could not be opened, because the origional item could not be found."

Any ideas or has anyone else found this to be a pronlem?

Cheers

Here's the text of a posting I made at macosxhints.com. This is how I resolved the issue in Panther.

On the PC, I had shared the entire drive (C:). It had been given a "share name" of "80GB (C:)" automatically by XP. I turned off sharing on that drive, turned it back on (which permitted me to rename the share name to "80"), and clicked the "allow users to modify files" checkbox.

I then moved back to my Mac, selected "Connect to server..." and put in "smb://192.168.1.151/80" (don't use quotes, obviously). Note that the 80 is the name of the shared drive and the IP is a static address I assigned to that machine within my intranet. The connect dialog came up with "WORKGROUP" and my username (which is the same on both my Mac and my PC). I entered my password (the PC password, of course) and *presto* the shared drive appeared on my OSX Desktop. Note that I'm running 10.3.7 on a G5 so the "fix" (from the time in 10.2.x when it -did- work to the time when it -stopped- working) is to add the shared folder name to the address.

Note that the PC -still- does not show up when clicking on the Network icon in the Finder.

- - - -

I've updated to 10.3.9 since then and connecting to the PC still works. I'll do the Tiger install this weekend (yeah, received my copy early) and will report back about this issue.

Ok,

I've been tinkering with this on and off all day now here's what I have learned:

I can connect to Windows 2000 machines fine though SMB
I can connect to Windows 2003 machines fine through AFP (as long as I'm running the Microsoft services for mac etc)

This is almost exatly the same as a known issue between Panther and below and Windows 2003 servers, in that Windows 2003 tries to encrypt network connections. You need to set the domain policy: "Digitally sign communications" to disabled.

However I had already done that because of the issue in Panther.

So now I have upgraded to Tiger I am getting the same symptoms. There must be something not quite right in SMB in Tiger. Or the improved support for SMB in Tiger has somehow broken communications between my Windows 2003 server and my Mac.

I'll continue to investigate and report back.

If anyone else gets this problem let me know what else you find.

Cheers

Have you found out any more info about this situation?

This is the problem I am having, I also posted this at macosxhints forum:

With previous builds of OS X I had no trouble logging into the Win 2k3 server at work.

I would use the Cmd + K (Connect to Server) dialog box and connect to: smb://192.168.210.10/directoryname

Then I would put in user name and password, and the drive would connect mount.

However, since installing Tiger, I get the error: "Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct."

The username and password are correct, but that is the error it is giving.

One other interesting note, I can connect to another PC on the network, just a regular WinXP Pro machine that is used by a co-worker, of course using his login and password to access his PC.

Any suggestions? Or has anyone experienced a successful Win 2k3 login?

This is the same problem i'm having with my Mac and windows xp. Same error. I have 10.3.9 (dont have money for Tiger at the moment.)

MoNkeY mAgIc said:
Hi,

Just installed Tiger.

Spotlight is very cool.

Anyway I'm having real problems connecting to Windows computers on our network (it all worked fine and dandy with panther).

I will describe what what works on my iBook/4 PC network (3 XPs and 1 Me) after updating to 10.4. You can apply what I say to your case as best you can. Ignoring a couple of comuters, my setup is Desktop PC > Ethernet cable > Linksys WRT54GS wired/wireless router. Cable modem > router. iBook > AirPort Card > Router. All computer firewalls are off; router firewall is on > WPA is enabled.

You might want to disable all security temporarily. Also, if wireless on the Mac, you might want to try to get things working with an Ethernet cable first.

Mac--iBook
I was able to access the PCs shares almost immediately by going DocK > Home > Network > Network (I think) > PC. The username and password one is ask for is for the Mac, not the PC. As I recall, I did not have to change anything to access the PC, but I had to try several times. Be sure Windows sharing is selected. Also, using the Directory Access utility, be sure the SMB box is checked. Once checked, double click on the SMB line and make sure your Mac is in the same workgroup as the PC (probably not essential, but helps sometimes).

PC
None of the approaches I used to use worked. Acutally what worked was simple/obvious, but it had never worked before. So, try to "Add a Network Place." As mentioned, insert the Mac's IP address as shown in it's "Sharing" pane. If at any point you are asked for a username and password, then use those for the Mac. On the PC, share a folder; I suggest sharing My Documents at the outset. On the folder to be shared, right click, choose "Sharing," and say "yes," in effect, to both sharing options.

Your solution seems to be more for computers on a regular home or small network. The problem I am having and I believe the author of this post (not sure though) is having is with a Windows 2003 server being the login point for all computers. In order to get onto the network, we have to log in with our unique user name and passwords.

I can connect to other PCs perfectly fine with the PC's username and password. However, when it comes to authenticating to log on to a network, it's a compeltely different story.

Many seem to have this problem and there seems to be no work around as of yet (aside from reverting back to 10.3.9)

-Jen

jenmarsh said:
Your solution seems to be more for computers on a regular home or small network.

Yes, I put my soluton out there for anyone it is pertinent to. It looked to me like some were dealing with home/small networks, while others were connected to servers. Information was scarce about who was doing what. So, I took a flyer--hoping to help some. I am no good at helping with servers.

Doesnt hurt to run ipconfig if it's a windows box or ifconfig on a linux box. Itll tell you the current ip. Its probably at a different private address. ie:

10.0.1.4 i SMB'd to before, then i rebooted my linux server...and now ifconfig says its at 10.0.1.8 so now i have to go there. Try that. Might solve a lot.

I hit the same problem. I could connect to some servers but not others. It seems to me that the ones I could not connect to did not support NTLMv2 password encription.

I found a suggestion that creating the file /etc/nsmb.conf (NOTE! not smb.conf)

With contents

[default]
minauth=none

would fix the problem.

http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283

It did for me.

The original suggested solution warned that this could mean passwords being sent in plain text. In my case the servers are all in house so this was not a concern.

The best way I found to create this file was from the terminal:
sudo pico /etc/nsmb.conf

you will be promted for your admin password

In the blank screen enter
[default]
minauth=none

Ctrl O takes you into save mode, rtrn saves the file
Ctrl X exits pico
Restart your system an try connecting

I have since searched for details of the files/etc/nsmb.conf and it would seem that this settings can for specified servers but I could not find any reference to the minauth parameter and what values it will accept other than =none. If anyone finds what values it takes I would be interested to know.

Back