Tiger boot up time

wazowski

Registered
I have just placed an order for a G4 powerbook 12inch with combodrive. I have used PC for last 12 years or more. So I am excited to get started with mac now.

I am curious:

How many seconds does a newly loaded powerbook 1.5GHZ with 512 RAM take to boot? I have heard it's fast - but how much is what I wanna know.

Thank you!

Well, I am using a 12 inch 1.33 Ghz Powerbook (512mb RAM), and it doesn't take that long. Faster than most Windows machines I used. It takes about a minute-minute and a half to get to the log in screen, then about 35 seconds to load the desktop.

My G4 MDD (specs see below) boots with auto-login. It goes from 'Push the power button' to Desktop in less than 30 seconds I would estimate. It needs less then a minute, that's for sure

wazowski said:
I have just placed an order for a G4 powerbook 12inch with combodrive. I have used PC for last 12 years or more. So I am excited to get started with mac now.

I am curious:

How many seconds does a newly loaded powerbook 1.5GHZ with 512 RAM take to boot? I have heard it's fast - but how much is what I wanna know.

Thank you!

I have exactly the same machine as you. I'm also a Windows convert as well.

The loading time is similar to Windows on the first run. After that, I put it to sleep and wake it each time and it takes about 3 seconds. Sleep wastes a little bit of power but not much, and the power usage is worth it for the time it saves.

Back