Tiger Can't load After Installation

wbwarnerb

Registered
Computer Tiger is Installed on: New Powerbook 1.67GHz PowerPC G4, 512 MB of ram, 60 Gigs free.

Problem Description: Tiger prompts for me to upgrade (from 10.3.9) so I follow the prompts. I add one extra item (X11) and start the installation. It installs fine, and reboots.

I'm given a login prompt. I login with my username/password.

At this point I'm dropped to the desktop wallpaper. There's no icons, no program bars, nothing - just the wallpaper.

I read the manual, and try holding down "C" with the disk inserted. I get the Disk set up screen. I run diagnostics on the drives, verify the HD is set to the main boot device... everything checks out... including my permissions. Everything checks out. Yet the machine can't seem to boot to a workable OS, after Tiger is installed.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm having the same problem. I've had success booting into safe mode by holding down the shift key at the chime on start up until you see a gray apple. I' still working on it.

You did an upgrade or archive and install? Archive and install is always recommended over an upgrade. You can still do the archive and install again by booting off the CD and all your documents will still be there. Just be sure to tell it to save or copy your user data.

You can also start up by holding the option key after the chime and see if the partition/drive you put tiger on shows up. If it shows up click on it 1x and click the right arrow button to start up on the selected partition/drive. Just a simple test to see if the Mac reconizes the OS installed and should be able to start up in. good luck

Hi folks,

thanks for the info and help. Here's what I did last night:
First I ran Upgrade.
When I couldn't get into the OS, I reinstalled with a Archive Install (Preserve Username and Network settings checked)
I also tried repairing the disk but it told me the disk had no problems.
I also tried repairing permissions but it told me permissions had no problems.
This morning I read the thread here and tried getting in to Safe Boot. That doesn't work for me either. After I type my pass the login screen blinks away but all I see is the wallpaper (it doesn't build the desktop.)

I tried holding "option" down on boot, and it shows my HD and my DVD Install of Tiger as volumes that are available.

I called Apple Support this morning. They left me with this (which I'm doing right now):
They told me to try another Archive install with "Preserve Usernames and Network Settings" UNCHECKED.

That's happening right now. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Apple's suggestion that I do a Archive install with "preserve usernames and network settings off" did the trick.

It was like setting up the note book for the first time (with my name, username, address, etc.) all over again... but it worked.

Thanks for all your help.

Back