Tiger Dual Boot Problem. Can't install Jaguar after installing Tiger.

hoaxone

Registered
I have a PowerMac G4 Dual 1.42 MDD "FW 800". I have two internal hard drives installed. I had recently performed a clean install of Tiger on one hard drive. The installation was smooth and solid. I wanted to install Jaguar on the other hard drive so I can have the option of booting into Jaguar and running programs that are only compatible with that OS.

When I try to boot off the Jaguar Installation Disc my computer gets a gray screen with a message telling me to restart my computer in different languages (this message also has FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF at the bottom). At first I was able to install Jaguar. It let me pick which drive I wanted to install Jaguar on. So I picked the empty drive and I was able to do a clean install. Unfortunately, every time I had to reboot during the installation process I would get the same gray screen with the restart message. After constant restarting, it would all of a sudden allow me to finish installing Jaguar. I was able to run Jaguar temporarily, but after restarting the computer I can no longer boot back into Jaguar. At this point I can't even get the computer to start up without that restart message popping up and stopping the start up process. I have to hold the Option button during start up and choose the drive with Tiger installed. I can only boot into Tiger.

I erased the Hard Drive with the Jaguar installation, reset the Firmware, reset the PRAM & NVRAM, ran Tech Tool Deluxe on that hard drive. It still will not let me run the Jaguar Install Disc after the restart. I still get that gray screen with the restart message.

I would appreciate anyone's input and suggestions as to what I can do to achieve running Jaguar on one drive and Tiger on another drive.

Might have some hardware connected that lets the machine go to a kernel panic (that's how that error is called you're seeing in several languages, kernel panic).

You could try installing Tiger on the second drive to get a better view of whether the drive is bad. And, maybe your Jaquar disk is bad.

fryke said:
Might have some hardware connected that lets the machine go to a kernel panic (that's how that error is called you're seeing in several languages, kernel panic).
I don't have any new third-party hardware connected to my powermac other than the new hard drive. I even removed the extra ram I installed and left the 512 stick that came with the computer.
The Ghost said:
You could try installing Tiger on the second drive to get a better view of whether the drive is bad. And, maybe your Jaquar disk is bad.
I wiped the drives clean again and installed Tiger on the hard drive I was originally trying to install Jaguar on. Tiger installed just fine. So now I've been able to install Tiger on both drives ensuring that the other drive is fine. I wiped the drives clean once again and tried installing Jaguar. Again it wouldn't even let me load the disc with out the kernel panic appearing and telling me to restart.

Thanks for helping me out guys. You both had good suggestions.

The Ghost said:
You are very welcome. Can you test the Jaguar disk on another computer?
Unfortunately I don't have access to another mac. That seems to be the only logical option left for me to try.

Might also be something Tiger writes into firmware or NVRAM. Either way: Try resetting the PRAM this way: Reboot holding down Cmd-Opt-P-R. Wait until it has chimed, say, twice, then try again...

fryke said:
Might also be something Tiger writes into firmware or NVRAM. Either way: Try resetting the PRAM this way: Reboot holding down Cmd-Opt-P-R. Wait until it has chimed, say, twice, then try again...
hoaxone said:
I erased the Hard Drive with the Jaguar installation, reset the Firmware, reset the PRAM & NVRAM, ran Tech Tool Deluxe on that hard drive.
I'm going to keep trying all your guys suggestions. I need to get pro tools le running so my digi 001 will work. I'm getting way behind.

fryke said:
I followed all those steps and I still can't get Jaguar to load. It seems that you may be right about Tiger writing something into the firmware that prevents the Jaguar CD to load. Is anybody experiencing anything similar?

Although I never really did find out why I couldn't get my PowerMac to successfully boot from my Jaquar Install Disc; I was able to boot off a (newly purchased) Panther Install Disc. I now have Panther installed on one internal hd and Tiger on another internal hd. I wanted to post this in the event that anyone is experiencing a problem similar to mine. MacSales.com sells the Panther Universal Install Disc (DVD) for $50 for anyone interested. Thanks MacOsx.com for all your help and to the others that offered their input.

hello I am having this issue where I have a MDD 867 and I have tiger 10.4.8 installed on one HD, and I need jaguar installed on another.

For some reason, I can install jaguar on one HD and tiger on another , but when I go to switch OS's my mac shuts down but doesnt restart or turn off, it hangs... I then have to do a force shut down. They say it isnt good.

How can I install both? jaguar came with my mac I have the disks but the mac cant dual boot without hanging

Back