Tiger Exchange/media sent on DVD

DPete210

Registered
I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. I purchased Tiger and received it on a DVD. Since my iMac is nearly 4 years old and I do not have a DVD drive, the software is useless. When I called to get the CD version, I was told there was an exchange program and where to find the website on the internet. Once there, I learned that I would have to pay an additional $9.95 plus sales tax for the exchange. I called Apple to complain, but got nowhere. I was basically told, tough luck! That's the way it is. After expressing my disappointment, I asked who I could write a letter of complaint to, but could not get an answer. Anyone know where to send complaint letters to Apple? Since softweare can't be returned, unless I fork over more money, Tiger is worthless to me. At this point I am not interested in purchasing a DVD drive.

My beef is this. When I ordered Tiger, there was no mention that I saw where the software would be sent on a DVD. Every piece of software I have received has been on a CD or set of CDs. The last System X I purchased came on CD's. I had no idea Tiger shipped on a DVD and I think it was very wrong that they did not offer Tiger on EITHER CD or DVD so that the extra delay and extra cost of sending the DVD back could be avoided.

I have been a Mac user for nearly 20 years and have always thought highly of the company. This experience has really shocked and disappointed me. I don't like the way Apple is doing business now. They have forgotten what the concept of customer service means. Apple used to be concerned about customer loyalty. What ever happened! Maybe I need to think about dumping Apple and giving a windows machine a try.....I hate the thought, but hey, you might burn me once, but you won't burn me twice.

Has anyone else experienced this and feel like you've been dumped on by Apple? Has anyone gotten Apple to relent and send the CD without additional charge?

When I ordered Tiger, there was no mention that I saw where the software would be sent on a DVD.
That's the tricky part. You didn't see it, but it was (and is) clearly stated on Apple's website. It is not a case of being at fault here, but just a miscommunication.
You could borrow an external dvd drive from a friend (or at an apple retail store) and install from there. Or pay extra for the CD's ...
BTW Panther came on 4 CD's, so distributing Tiger on DVD is not unreasonable.

Thanks for your reply, Cat. Your defense of Apple is understandable. And you are correct that it does state that Tiger comes on a DVD (further down the web page). But it was not visible on the section of the page from which I ordered. There was no such indication on the link I clicked to purchase Tiger, however, when I went back to the same site after receiving the wrong product, jepp, there it was, but you have to scroll down farther on the page, before it becomes clear that Tiger comes on a DVD. When all previous Sysem releases have shipped on CDs (since CDs were substitued in place of disks), is it not unreasonalbe to believe that Tiger would also be sent on CDs? As a consumer I feel that the fact that a sudden medium switch in how software is distributed by Apple, without alerting consumers and making it VERY CLEAR incidates that Apple is either insensitive to its customer base or just doesn't care. The fact that the software was ONLY offered on DVD indicates an elitist and naive mentality at Apple. The fact that they have not admitted to a blunder indicates that they don't care about their loyal customers who have not yet upgraded to DVD technology. The right thing to do would be to first of all, change the ordering process so that Tiger is offered on either CD or DVD and then to send the CDs FREE of CHARGE to those who received the wrong media in exchange for the DVD sent. Why make someone order twice and pay an additional amount? But it doesn't sound like that is going to happen. The fact that so many people have made the same mistake as I did when ordering should be ample proof that the Tiger DVD only upgrade is a big snafu. But it's the customer that's paying for the mistake. And it doesn't appear to me like anyone in a position to do anything about the problem is willing to step forward and admit that Apple goofed big time. I would have expected this if I were using a windows computer and this were a Microsoft product, but I hope the Microsoft people are smart enough to not make the same mistake. Cat, when something stinks, it stinks, no amount of perfume will cover the smell.

We've _had_ this discussion. (Search before posting...?) Basically, it's like this: Yeah, tough luck. If you think it stinks, there's not much we (or Apple) can do about it. They offer the CD-set to you, even _though_ you didn't care to read carefully.

But let's come back to common sense, shall we. There are several solutions to your problem.

a) Get the CD-set for 9.95.
b) Get a DVD drive. Don't have to buy one, you can get somebody to lend you one.
c) Use another computer to install on your harddrive via FireWire target-mode. Your computer can do that, since it _does_ have FireWire (else you wouldn't have a supported machine, anyway).
d) Return Tiger. If you're not willing to do a, b or c, you're not really interested, anyway, I'd say.

May sound harsh, but I'm REALLY, really glad that Apple has _finally_ made the step away from those CDs. I mean: 3 or 4 CDs? That means swapping.

Fryke

Fryke, thanks for your comments, even though I don't agree with you.
It was not a matter of reading carefully, Fryke, it was a matter of NOT seeing where it was mentioned that the software was shipped on DVD because it was mentioned further on down the web page. I already knew I wanted to buy the upgrade. So I clicked on the icon to purchase. There was nothing mentioned on the next link when ordering that it was shipped on DVD. This is important for the consumer to know and should have been mentioned upfront. I still don't understand why there was not an option to purchase on either CD or DVD, to satisfy the needs or preference of the customer. DVD meets your needs, since you apparently have DVD technology. I think you are a little hard on those of us who were not aware of the DVD only shipment.
And I especially don't appreciate you saying that I didn't care to read carefully. Attitudes such as the one you are expressing drive people away from Apple or other shortsighted companies with similar customer relations.

I guess this was the wrong place to post a complaint against Apple's Tiger upgrade. A legitimate complaint has fallen upon deaf ears. By the way, I am completey aware of your suggestions a-d. However, d is not an option as it clearly states that Apple does not accept software returns.

DPete210 said:
Fryke

Fryke, thanks for your comments, even though I don't agree with you.
It was not a matter of reading carefully, Fryke, it was a matter of NOT seeing where it was mentioned that the software was shipped on DVD because it was mentioned further on down the web page. I already knew I wanted to buy the upgrade. So I clicked on the icon to purchase. There was nothing mentioned on the next link when ordering that it was shipped on DVD. This is important for the consumer to know and should have been mentioned upfront. I still don't understand why there was not an option to purchase on either CD or DVD, to satisfy the needs or preference of the customer. DVD meets your needs, since you apparently have DVD technology. I think you are a little hard on those of us who were not aware of the DVD only shipment.
And I especially don't appreciate you saying that I didn't care to read carefully. Attitudes such as the one you are expressing drive people away from Apple or other shortsighted companies with similar customer relations.

I guess this was the wrong place to post a complaint against Apple's Tiger upgrade. A legitimate complaint has fallen upon deaf ears. By the way, I am completey aware of your suggestions a-d. However, d is not an option as it clearly states that Apple does not accept software returns.

i believe apple accepts returns under certain circumstances. not really sure if those pertain to you or not, but someone in this forum returned their copy recently.

and just so you know, the reason you have to pay for the CD's is probably because it costs apple more to produce the CD's...they probably produced a lot more DVD's and got a quantity discount on the media. They produce less CD's, and get less of a price break. Part of the $9 or whatever that you pay helps to cover that cost.

just for future reference, just about every bit of software you buy/download has a "system requirements" section. read that part, because it's important. I believe the requirements for the Tiger upgrade stated "DVD Drive is required for installation".

The thing is it WAS mentioned clearly upfront. You said yourself it was on the page, just further down the page. I understand your frustration, but to insist that because we don't agree with you we have attitudes is insulting.

The problem here, quite frankly, is that you assumed. You assumed that since previous versions of OS X had shipped on CDs then this one must as well, and in your haste to place the order neglected to read the System Requirements. For all you know your iMac might not have even been a supported machine.

I'm not sure if you pre-ordered or not. If not then a quick look (and search) at any Apple related forum would have told you that Tiger indeed ships on DVD. You have every right to be upset, but I believe you should direct at least a small fraction of your displeasure back at yourself...

And
DPete210 said:
It was not a matter of reading carefully, Fryke, it was a matter of NOT seeing where it was mentioned that the software was shipped on DVD because it was mentioned further on down the web page. I already knew I wanted to buy the upgrade. So I clicked on the icon to purchase.
Isn't that the same thing? :confused:
You didn't read it carefully, sounds like you didn't read it at all...

Evidently it wasn't mentioned clearly enough. Many people purchased the OS w/o knowing it was coming ONLY on a DVD. It does mention anywhere on the system requirements that you must have a DVD drive. I purchased Tiger the day it came out and here it sits, on my desk, a figment of my imagination ... a mere pipe dream.

Pete: I'm with ya buddy. I think this sucks. I'm sure the people telling us we didn't read carefully enough didn't have any problems installing their $140 purchase. I suppose we should have seen this coming, but if Apple had drawn a little more attention to this fact maybe they wouldn't have pissed so many people off. Oh well.

It says Tiger ships on DVD and DVD required for installation right on the order page

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 8
Even more annoying is the fact that teh CD's are backordered, and no one knows when they might get around to re-stocking and filling the orders.

So, another loyal customer from day 1, spends money to pre-order, and now has their DVD held hostage for some undesignated time, when Apple "might" get around to shipping the media, which were to be shipped in 24 hours of receiving the DVD. As many people as have apologized for Apple in this thread, this is not right.

When will, one wonders, Apple decide to honor the commitment they made? Feels like Microsoft to me.

Back