Tiger installable on CD drive?

kafene

Registered
Here's the thing. I'm currently running Tiger on my laptop which has a DVD drive in it. My brother just got Tiger for his work. I told him it needed to be installed by a DVD drive. Well, he calls me back and said that he installed all their Tiger OS using a regular CD drive the Macs came with because his DVD external had issues reading the discs. He said the OS discs are DVD but they read and install fine on a regular CD drive.

I just tried loading the installer in an old G4 (blue case) running OS 9 and the DVD actually mounted. The icons are all generic, but when I double clicked the INSTALL MAC OS icon, the installer window came up to RESTART, just like it's supposed to before install.

Has anyone actually TRIED installing off a non-DVD drive? As an added note, I tried mounting it on an OLD iMac G3 and it did not mount.

kafene.

Yes, I'd suspect as well that your brother was using a drive that's capable of READING dvds, just not burning them. Have him go to System Profiler, you should be able to see there what the drive is (and if Disk Utility reads the Tiger disk as anything larger than 800MB, then he has a DVD DRIVE.

Back