Tiger over Panther or new Install

mkaynan

Registered
I have an iMac G3 333 (trayload) with 256 RAM and a 40 Gig HD. It has two partitions:

Partition #1 - 7.8 Gig (Panther maximum requirement) withjust 3.79 Gig available, after the Panther and 9.2.2 system files

Partition #2 - 32 Gig with my 9.2.2 applications and data

I also have an External 80 Gig Back up HD and an external DVD burner

Does it pay to install Tiger over the 7.8 Gig Partition or is it smarter to re-initialize the 40 Gig Internal HD to instll Tiger and then copy the 9.2.2 system folder and files from the External Drive?

I'm a fan of reinstalls. I've found them to be far less problematic than upgrades. Trust me, just back up all your data and do a clean install. It'll save you the headaches in the long run.

With your setup, I would reformat the internal and install Panther cleanly (i.e., archive and install/preserve user and network settings) or custom erase and install. Each has its advantages, depending on .... Before doing so, I would clone your 9.2 system to a partition on the external if it is a bootable firewire drive or make a disk image of 9.2 on the partition if not a firewire. After installing Tiger on the internal and getting it working properly, I would clone it/disk image it to another partition on the external.

1) My iMac G# (trayload) does not have Firewire installed. Will Tiger work without Firewire hardware?

2) Can I install it from my External USB DVD Drive. I can read it from my External DVD drive - with Panther - but will Tiger work with a USB External drive

Scottfab said:
ghost: what about for people who dont have external hard drives or speak technobabble?
He says he has an external. I hope what I said wasn't technobabble since babble, techno or otherwise, doesn't make. It made sense to me. I would hope that if he didn't get it and was interested, then he would post back and ask questions.

mkaynan said:
1) My iMac G# (trayload) does not have Firewire installed. Will Tiger work without Firewire hardware?

2) Can I install it from my External USB DVD Drive. I can read it from my External DVD drive - with Panther - but will Tiger work with a USB External drive
One of the requirement for installing Tiger is having firewire. I have seen various reasons for this requirement, but I am not sure what the correct reason is. Also, as I recall some have installed Tiger, and it appears to be working well (enough), without having firewire. I don't know if you will be able to install as you suggest. I should have realized that your Mac was not firewire equipped. So, what I said earlier applies, as mentioned, to disk images, but not to clones. You could try installing as you suggest, but, before doing so, I would make disk images of both of your partitions on your external--in case you need to get back to where you started.

Back