Tiger Performance on Dual Proc G5

kainjow

Registered
Will Tiger have significant and noticeable speed improvements on DP G5's?

I read that the GUI will be driven by the GPU. Is this correct? If I were to upgrade my graphics card to 128MB, would I see a decent improvement... or is the 64MB good enough?

What video card do you have now? If it is the FX5200 you will probably see a decent improvement, especially if you are going to be utilizing CoreImage and CoreVideo

Hi,
Will System Tiger run faster than System Panther on a G-4?
Will it run at least as fast as System 9.2?

Thanks much,
Adonsa

When Panther was updated was right about when I was thinking of upgrading my hardware to a dual G5 (from a dual G4 1 ghz). Panther gave me such a boost (a little in actual UI speed, but mostly in general efficiency and producivity [exposé, inline searching, etc.], that I didn't feel the need to upgrade the hardware. It'll be interesting to see if Tiger has the same effect or if I'll want to grab a new box to really let it shine.

If Core Image (video) gives a boost to FCP on my current machine, I may just get a new video card and some more RAM and hold out for that 3 GHZ. Still…holding…breath…can't…make…it…much…longer…

When Panther was updated was right about when I was thinking of upgrading my hardware to a dual G5 (from a dual G4 1 ghz). Panther gave me such a boost (a little in actual UI speed, but mostly in general efficiency and producivity [exposé, inline searching, etc.], that I didn't feel the need to upgrade the hardware. It'll be interesting to see if Tiger has the same effect or if I'll want to grab a new box to really let it shine.

If Core Image (video) gives a boost to FCP on my current machine, I may just get a new video card and some more RAM and hold out for that 3 GHZ. Still…holding…breath…can't…make…it…much…longer…

Back