Tiger Printing to HP 4600

jesz

Registered
To give a little background, a couple of years ago we discovered the reason we were having problems from MAC to HP 4550, was because the MACs were printing in Binary instead of ASCII. Instead of the printout youexpected it was a ratio of 1=50 pages of binary. After that discovery, we were able to write a script that kept the MACs in ASCII. Moving forward in time, we replaced the the 4550 with a 4600, the old G4's with G5's running Tiger OS. But the same problem is once again occuring. The major difference, is this time we can't pinpoint the problem, and it isn't printing Binary, just the first page 50 x's. Even if it is only 1 page of text or an image. We've tried switching out the printer for an identical one, loading the driver through print center setup, trashing that driver, and re-downloading the original driver from the HP website.
Just to make it thrilling this is all lab based with a total of 70 MAC's and PC's attached to it (in equal #'s).
Any ideas on fixing this would greatly appreciated.

How are you connecting to the 4600 ? I have one that is running quite happily from both a Windows print server and a separate queue on an Xserve running 10.4. I did not have to make any changes to the setups at all.

It sounds like you maybe having a postscript issue if you are just getting a lot of pages with little on them. If you can let me have specific details of your set up I'll try and help ?

I really appreciate it, but it turned out to be a hardware problem! Leaving the jet-direct card the same, we just switched out the printer for 1 exactly the same, and lo and behold, it works beautifully now!

Back