Tiger Quartz 2D Extreme Disabled?

I'm not sure, what you mean... If your hardware supports it (and you iBook does) it should be enabled. It's not something to switch on or off in SysPrefs, is it?

I actually have a 12 inch powerbook 1.5GHz now. I just haven't updated my signature. If you have xCode Developer Tools installed. Do a Spotlight Search for Quartz Debug. Start up the app, and go under Tools. It should say something along the lines of "Disable Quartz Extreme" and right underneath that "Enable Quartz 2D Extreme".

You can Enable Quartz 2D Extreme, but it will only last for as long as you don't restart, then you have to do it all over again.

Oh, then maybe if your computer supports Core Video and Core Image, that takes care of the effects Quartz Extreme usually does?

I think the difference is that 'Quartz 2D Extreme' is not 'Quartz Extreme'. What you may be seeing is some of the work being put in towards a resolution independant graphics subsystem. AFAIK, the work is not complete, hence disabled.

I notice that Apple's Quartz Extreme page mentions 2D work a lot, but never uses the phrase "Quartz 2D Extreme". Does this mean that the 2D acceleration we've been expecting IS enabled on your machine (as part of "Quartz Extreme")?

If you were to run some 2D performance tests with Quartz Extreme enabled and disabled, would there be a big difference? And would there be a similar difference with "Quartz 2D Extreme" enabled and disabled?

I really hope that what I've been hearing referred to as "Quartz 2D Extreme" is working and standard in Tiger...

Quartz Extreme, and Quartz 2D Extreme are suppose to be totally different. Quartz 2D Extreme is suppose to be the ability to run 2D type work the same way Quartz Extreme does through the GPU bypassing the CPU completely. If you have the Tiger Sessions thing, then you will know what I'm talking about. Before Quartz 2D Extreme, if you did anything that used a lot of lines, or that kind of thing to create models or something along those lines, it was running everything off of the CPU, but with Quartz 2D Extreme it goes through the GPU. It's kind of complicated, I'm just trying ti find out why this isn't working the way I thought it would

I found out more information on it. It's not going to be enabled by default for a while. They are planning on making it enabled in a later release though. Do a search on Quartz 2D Extreme to find out more.

I have read that the tiger gold master ui is about 50% faster than panther in some ways. maybe this is why there is no QE. not needed maybe..

Quartz 2D Extreme makes a huge improvement over Panther. It was displayed at WWDC 2004 and you can view it on the Graphics State of the Union address.

I forget the exact numbers, but for drawing lines it was upwards of 10000 times faster at some things. This was mainly for drawing 2D pictures on the screen. They had an example of a house or building made with lines being drawn. On Panther it was really slow while on Tiger it was insanely fast.

This will also replace QuickDraw from what I understand.

My guess is they haven't worked out the bugs enough to enable it but wanted Tiger to ship anyways.

Does it make any difference when you turn it on?

Not that I can see, but I haven't really done a lot of tests on it.

One thing that is cool though, is the resolution independent GUI. In the same app, there is a way to control the size of everything in an application.

Well, it's all ready there. Right now, it works perfectly fine. The only thing that doesn't look right is the size of the widgets on the menu bar when you do the resize. It works really really well though. I am hoping someone figures out a way to change it on launch so it's like running a higher resolution display.

ARG! Seems like Quartz 2D Extreme does NOT work on all Quartz Extreme-capable graphics cards after all. On my Mac mini, the menu item is dimmed and says "Quartz 2D Extreme not supported". So, what ARE the requirements for this? Same as Core Image? I STILL can't find any explicit mention of it on Apple's site, although the Quartz Extreme page sure makes it seem like 2D is included. Their graph shows Quartz Extreme under ALL graphics work. Is that just a lie?

By the way, the resolution switching thing does work, but it's very much not ready for prime time. Maybe it would look better with a better graphics card, but on my Mac mini, it looks terrible. Scaling things up looks decent (hardly perfect), but scaling things down looks terrible. Either way, there are a lot of strange artifacts, like grid lines in the menu bar (???). Also, some things are totally out of whack, like Safari's Bookmark bar, which seems to go further and further underneath the navigation bar, to the point where it's completely invisible at the minimum setting. Weird.

Of course, that's why Apple didn't enable it. :) It definitely looks promising, but it's got a ways to go before it's consumer-ready.

Edit: Actually, after a bit more testing, I realize that the weird gridlines don't appear when you use round multipliers — 2x, 3x, 1/2, etc. At 2x, it really does work very well. 1/2 still needs work, though.

For info on Quartz Extreme and Quartz Extreme 2D and their differences read the Ars article on Tiger at http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars. Look at pages 13 and 14 of the article. It's a really good explaination of the technologies and discusses how the new 2D compositing engine is much faster in Tiger then Panther even for boxes that don't support Quartz Extreme 2D.

Brian

Back