Tiger Quirks

nealt

Registered
I noticed that Tiger requires more keystrokes to perform functions compared to Panther. For instance Downloading an application requires an extra conformation.

I can no longer copy and paste an opened dmg file from the desktop to a particular folder. I get a message that I do not have permissions. I am logged in as an administrator and have run repair permissions. This is annoying.

Any comments?

The confirmation for downloading apps/dmgs is a measure of security, I guess. A little annoying, but after some time in Tiger, I almost don't notice it anymore.

The DMG thing strikes me as odd. Either this is already fixed in 8B9, or it just doesn't happen to me. Can you only not copy/paste via keyboard-combo or can't you option-drag it to a folder either? (All these work fine for me, btw.)

I have a 17' PB 1.67, brand new... had Panther on it and the text smoothing was nice at 9pt Verdana. Installed Tiger and now the same text "appears" to be breaking up... and bold text is too fat.... I tried all sorts of settings combinations with smoothing, color profiles, brightness adjustments, even set exactly like my 15" PB running Panther.... did Apple futz with the smoothing??? Am I missing something? (incidentally, that Font Book app is just worthless...)

Also, it appears I can't drag text to the desktop to make clippings anymore... they make text files instead... ???? is clippings a thing of the past? They became more useful with OSX using the terminal....

nealt said:
I noticed that Tiger requires more keystrokes to perform functions compared to Panther. For instance Downloading an application requires an extra conformation.

I can no longer copy and paste an opened dmg file from the desktop to a particular folder. I get a message that I do not have permissions. I am logged in as an administrator and have run repair permissions. This is annoying.

Any comments?
Try selecting the closed dmg file, then going to "get info". Then set the pemissions to "read & write". You will have to click on the lock first. After scrolling down to the "details" triangle, set ownership to you, making sure that "read and write" is selected. Should help.

Back