Tiger seems faster than Panther...

Notice I didn't say anything about the UI performance :). The UI is easily improved, as it is kinda sluggish on Panther, and I don't doubt that the UI improvements are real. I think this, together with _some_ improvements to memory access and threading are coming with Tiger.

I'm just calling into question the big "improvement" in CPU, thread, memory, Quartz and OpenGL with the jump to Tiger since the numbers on Panther don't really add up, and the numbers for Tiger a slower than what I get on my Powerbook that runs Panther.

Viro said:
I'm just calling into question the big "improvement" in CPU, thread, memory, Quartz and OpenGL with the jump to Tiger since the numbers on Panther don't really add up, and the numbers for Tiger a slower than what I get on my Powerbook that runs Panther.

Pass me a big slice of that humble pie and remind me never to get a job as a statistician. Throwing in that iBook made me read the graphs all wrong. :eek:

Just give me three weeks, and I'll see if I can't get back with some more accurate figures.

Captain Code said:
If you look at the UI increase for the Powermac G5 it's 51% faster than with 10.3.8

Since Tiger comes with GCC 4.0, I guess it is also compiled with it. In addition
to the 64-bit support, GCC 4.0 comes with autovectorization. This means that
loops etc. are automatically converted to code that uses SIMD extension, i.e.
code that handles several steps of the loop at once.

artov said:
This means that loops etc. are automatically converted to code that uses SIMD extension, i.e. code that handles several steps of the loop at once.
That is not what SIMD means, nor what it can do. Single Instruction Multiple Data. Which means possibly fewer loops if you're doing the same thing to multiple sets of similar data. It does not mean doing multiple steps/instructions coded in a loop.

This type of optimization has little benefit in a desktop UI purpose, because you don't often find large arrays of similar data in a UI that can be vectorized.

Back