Tiger to OS 9 Filesharing Connection Cuts out

iltf@earthlink

Registered
Hi,

I'm trying to transfer data from a Powermac 7100/G3 running OS 9.1 to a G4 running Tiger 10.4.3. I can connect either way (from OS 9 to Tiger and also from Tiger to OS 9) but the connections do not last long enough for me to transfer data.

I've got the computers wired to each other via ethernet (TCP/IP manually configured, Appletalk turned on. I've used both a regular and crossover cables. The computers can see each other and I can log on either way but the connections do not last.

My longest connection has been two minutes. It is more stable connecting from the G4 running Tiger but not stable enough!!!!

If I can fileshare, I'll keep the older Mac, get a router for the house.

Thanks

joHn iltf@earthlink

Couple of ideas - You should set the IP address of each computer to be in the non-routable (local network only) ranges and in the same subnet. Use 192.168.1.10 for one and 192.168.1.11 for the other.

Turn file sharing on on both computers, and on OS 9, check Allow Users to connect using TCP/IP.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for the rapid response!!!

I thought that we had it. The first connection lasted for 5 minutes and I was able to copy over about half of a Eudora mail folder. Subsequent attempts have the connection failing within two minutes, often sooner.

I did notice once that I lost the connection in the finder (Network:Servers: .. the computer went away for a moment.

I'll try a different OS 9 machine (OS 9.2.2) and report back.

I am able to establish stable connections between the two OS 9 machines ... let's see if I can get the other OS 9 machine to talk to this Tiger G4.

Confirming that I am able to establish a stable file share (direct, ethernet) between Tiger and G3 9.2.2.

I still cannot establish a stable connection between 9.1 (PM 7100/66 G3) and Tiger (10.4.3).

I can establish stable sharing between the two OS 9 machines ... so I don't think that this is a hardware problem.

appletalk is not necessary for the osx machine it will connect using tcpip. How are you mounting them from the os9 machine machine are you using the chooser and then selecting appleshare icon. And on the osx machine are you using the go menu and typing the other machines ip address? Also on the os9 machine open control panel open extension manager and select all os9 as your extension set then restart. If still haveing problem Could be duplex issue. On the os x machine go to system preferences network settings select the "ethernet" tab change configure to manually change duplex to half you could try changing the speed to match if you know what it is 10baseT or 100baseT. Dont forget to change it back to automatic when your done.

Many thanks....!!!!

I've been connecting over IP, and tried mounting both from the chooser (less successful) and from the Network>Go ... (better but still not stable)

I've not yet tried the ALL OS9 extensions set, the duplex, or matching speed. Excellent suggestions. I cannot get to them today.... I'll try tomorrow and let you know what happens.

I was able to get my other OS 9 machine (9.2.2) to connect and be stable. It was plug and play.

Back