Tiger Upgrade - Appleworks?

ShadowNinja

Registered
Hello.

I've just purchased OS X Tiger, and I'll be installing when it arrives. I've heard that AppleWorks is not included in the Tiger installation. However, I'm currently running 10.3.9 and with a clean install, will AppleWorks stay or go? I know it's not a great app, but it serves its' purpose.

A more simple solution, however, is to just burn the app to a CD-R or onto an external drive. Even a USB stick would suffice.

fryke said:
A more simple solution, however, is to just burn the app to a CD-R or onto an external drive. Even a USB stick would suffice.

Will that work, I mean, just copying it into Tiger? Doesn't the app need to be re-installed completely, or will it work fine. The AppleWorks application sums to 69.1MB in the Application folder, it seems like it would be more.

You can't copy your appleworks 6 folder to a usb drive/CD-RW/External HD and then copy it to another computer (or even back to the same after it has had it's HD blanked and then MacOSX restored). Appleworks 6 must be installed via the installer.

I tried to copy an appleworks 6 folder to an old iBook after I blanked it's HD and installed Panther 10.3.9 on it from scratch. Appleworks wouldn't run. I have an original Appleworks 6 CD, but it's so old the installer requires OS9 to run, so I had to install OS9 on the iBook which I put 10.3.9 on and THEN I could install Appleworks 6 and upgrade it to run under OSX. Wish there were some way to make a new CD from my Appleworks 6 which will do installs directly in MacOSX.

You can't copy your appleworks 6 folder to a usb drive/CD-RW/External HD and then copy it to another computer (or even back to the same after it has had it's HD blanked and then MacOSX restored). Appleworks 6 must be installed via the installer.

This is definitely not correct.

I just copied Appleworks 6 from a drive with 10.3 installed, to my main drive, 10.4 installed, unmounted the 10.3 drive, and opened Appleworks on the 10.4 drive and it works fine.

I don't understand why it didn't work for me then. That's weird. I copied it over an ethernet connection. Perhaps data was corrupted during the transfer and that is why it failed for me.

I could be wrong, but seems like to use the OSX updater to install AppleWorks in an OSX application folder, AppleWorks 6 must first be installed in an OS9 Applications folder(usually the OS9 used as Classic for the OSX to be used).

In other words, if you have OS 9.2.2 on your computer, first install AppleWorks 6 to it...then run the AppleWorks 6.2.9 updater while booted in OSX to install AppleWorks 6.2.9 in the OSX Applications folder.

Matt

Back