Tiger Upgrade FAQ

DanTekGeek

MacTechGeek
Just like all of us, there will be many people getting a non-descript brown package next friday. Many of them will suddenly be faced with a very important question: What should I do?

Should I do a clean install?
An archive install?
An upgrade?

Now, I've never done a Mac OS install, So I figure this is where you long time users come in. I think having a list of the advantages and disadvantages of each of the install methods, as well as a description of what the method does will really help us with the flood of questions we will be getting next weekend.

Also, it will help me decide what to do!

DanTekGeek said:
Just like all of us, there will be many people getting a non-descript brown package next friday. Many of them will suddenly be faced with a very important question: What should I do?

Should I do a clean install?
An archive install?
An upgrade?

Now, I've never done a Mac OS install, So I figure this is where you long time users come in. I think having a list of the advantages and disadvantages of each of the install methods, as well as a description of what the method does will really help us with the flood of questions we will be getting next weekend.

Also, it will help me decide what to do!
If you are installing for the first time (not upgrading from Panther or Jaguar), then you should zero the drive before you install Tiger. Zeroing the drive is actually a good idea when making any major upgrade, but unless you have a comprehensive backup and recovery solution in place this will not be a viable option.

If you do not already have one in place,now would be
a good time to implement a comprehensive backup
and recovery solution .

The most stable method is a "clean" install. The method i use is to have two partitions - I have Panther installed on partition A and partition B is blank.

I will install Tiger on partition B and then over time
i will move data from Panther to Tiger and work on
customizing it to my liking. After everything is just
as i want it and all (or most) of the bugs have been worked out, i will make a complete bootable backup of my Tiger installation, delete Panther from partition A, and use Tiger as my everyday OS.

Good info guys. I have been having some problems with some of the iApps, So I will most likely go with a zero and clean install, after imaging my whole panther setup to my external drive. Only problem is that if the 10gb/hour rule works, I'll have to wait 10 hours for panther! Gasp! ::ha::

Back