Tiger Upgrade Mail Disaster

ithacafilms

Registered
After successfully upgrading (via family-pack) a G5 and a G4 powerbook to Tiger (from Panther), my assistant ran the same upgrade on our G4 tower. Everything was successful with one HUGE exception—one of the 5 Mail inboxes failed to completely import. All the messages are listed in the Mail window, however when you double-click you get the following error message: The message from [whomever] [<whomever@whatever.com>] concerning [subject line] has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it.
Well, of course, the majority of the messages are more than a year old and no longer on the server. The messages do not appear in the mbox file and no, they were overlooked in last week's pre-upgrade backup.
I've run Salvage, but it only "recovered" some messages lost back in 2003, which had already been successfully imported back in 2003 from a backup.
Anybody have any ideas or experience with this awful upgrade phenomenon?
Cheers,
DDB

Hi,

The good news is: I just updated to 10.4.

The bad news is that when I ran Mail it had to do some import procedure, and now I can't read the messages in my inbox. They all still appear in the list, but the body and attachments of each of them have vanished. Instead I get a message that says verbatim what ithacafilms said, but it's nonsense.

The good news is, I backed it all up to an external drive.

The bad news is, I don't know what to do with the data there.

Can anyone help? Please?

TIA,

Mark

Back