Tiger wish list - feel free to add to it

PaulHigg

Grounded by depression
I wish I could print from some of the Widgets like, address book, stickies, dictionary, and the Yellow Pages phone book.

I wish I could minimize stickies like the REAL stickies, why can't the other stickies (the real ones) be incorporated into Dashboard?

I wish Spotlight could access System and Library files.

I wish there was some EASY way I could turn HTML pages I have saved into Word documents.

I wish I could save e-mails to another location BESIDES inside Mail.

I wish that I can change prference on one widget to stay on my desktop while other disappear. Than check widgets too often.

1.) I wish I could easily search for files by their name. That's the ONE thing. It's not currently being solved in 10.4.1. (Nor are the other Spotlight gripes like Cmd-"f" showing a _really_ strange default choice that is _not_ user changeable...)

2.) I wish Mail.app's icon would show the count of unread messages instead of just showing the unread messages in my inbox. My goal is to use rules to filter MOST of my mails, i.e. the inbox only gets - basically - unwanted mails from contacts I don't know. (All others are automatically sorted.)

3.) Focus on professionals. This is quite a "soft" wish, I guess, and it might be better aimed at 10.5 than at Tiger's little updates. What I mean is: Enough of those rather small and "fun" improvements already, Apple! Enough of those nice little filters for iPhoto, gadgets like Dashboard, convergence of iLife applications. I want a Finder that works, I want a search tool that works, I want you (Apple) catering to graphics designers, I want a Font Book that actually works (it needs to be MUCH, MUCH better).

If I look at the history of Mac OS X, I think the biggest worst thing Apple has done to us users and developers is: The Finder. It was unbearable in DP4 (I didn't look at DP3 and earlier) and the Public Beta as well as the first release version (10.0). Apple, it seems to me, has not acknowledged this ever since. They've started to bring some features back from OS 9 (labels, spring-open folders) - but only half-heartedly. (You can't choose the colours of the labels yourself, spring-open folders misses to be predictable enough.) But they have merely started to fix things like icon spacing etc. On the other hand, they seem to have had enough time to implement things like smart folders, burnable folders (10.4), inline search, Brushed Metal (10.3) as well as cosmetic changes to Aqua. While I don't say those were not important, I think - I almost BEG - it'd be important to fix the Finder. I actually think about demonstrating in Cupertino, should Apple not consider fixing the Finder a top priority for 10.5. But now I'm majorly off topic, ain't I. Sorry for that...

fryke said:
1.) I wish I could easily search for files by their name. That's the ONE thing. It's not currently being solved in 10.4.1. (Nor are the other Spotlight gripes like Cmd-"f" showing a _really_ strange default choice that is _not_ user changeable...)

2.) I wish Mail.app's icon would show the count of unread messages instead of just showing the unread messages in my inbox. My goal is to use rules to filter MOST of my mails, i.e. the inbox only gets - basically - unwanted mails from contacts I don't know. (All others are automatically sorted.)

3.) Focus on professionals. This is quite a "soft" wish, I guess, and it might be better aimed at 10.5 than at Tiger's little updates. What I mean is: Enough of those rather small and "fun" improvements already, Apple! Enough of those nice little filters for iPhoto, gadgets like Dashboard, convergence of iLife applications. I want a Finder that works, I want a search tool that works, I want you (Apple) catering to graphics designers, I want a Font Book that actually works (it needs to be MUCH, MUCH better).

If I look at the history of Mac OS X, I think the biggest worst thing Apple has done to us users and developers is: The Finder. It was unbearable in DP4 (I didn't look at DP3 and earlier) and the Public Beta as well as the first release version (10.0). Apple, it seems to me, has not acknowledged this ever since. They've started to bring some features back from OS 9 (labels, spring-open folders) - but only half-heartedly. (You can't choose the colours of the labels yourself, spring-open folders misses to be predictable enough.) But they have merely started to fix things like icon spacing etc. On the other hand, they seem to have had enough time to implement things like smart folders, burnable folders (10.4), inline search, Brushed Metal (10.3) as well as cosmetic changes to Aqua. While I don't say those were not important, I think - I almost BEG - it'd be important to fix the Finder. I actually think about demonstrating in Cupertino, should Apple not consider fixing the Finder a top priority for 10.5. But now I'm majorly off topic, ain't I. Sorry for that...

I totally agree. Repped post.

fryke,

yes, yes, yes... Apple only has to look at Pathfinder to see what a real Finder should be... I've finally just turned off the Finder and use Pathfinder exclusively, though I really, really want to stay with Apple's interface.. but I've got real work to do and PF allows me to do it quickly and efficiently.

Um... maybe its because I'm not a power user, but whats wrong with finder?

I wish that they'd hurry up and release some bug fixes for Tiger. I also wish that Dashboard would be more like Konfabulator. And a perminant floating stickies is a must.

Scottfab said:
And a perminant floating stickies is a must.

...Don't you already have that? Stickies.app isn't new in Tiger.

It seems like people only want to use the Dashboard stickies because Dashboard is a new and cool toy.

Ripcord said:
...Don't you already have that? Stickies.app isn't new in Tiger.

It seems like people only want to use the Dashboard stickies because Dashboard is a new and cool toy.
Stickies apps is there too? Awesome. Screw Dashboard. Uses too much virtual memory.

Scottfab: About what's wrong with the Finder... There's too many things to tell in one post. *sigh* Read John Siracusas comments about it on arstechnica.com, they're good.

basically, the finder is inconsitent. very inconsistent. it's unpredictable in terms how thigs are expected to work - you open a flder, and suddenly the view changes to icon view. or always is icon view. then changes. i'd like a path/address bar. so i can copy a path into and have it navigate to it (a bit windows-y i know, but its a good feature.) another thing from windows... ish... would be the "up" button as well as or instead of back. and a preview pan in other views than column.... wait... i want windows explorer! the only good thing about windows, that i really miss sometimes is explorer. it's a rock solid, dependable way of navigating and finding stuff. filings systems shoddy, but the way the navigating works is good. makes finder look amateurish.

that'd be a wish of mine.

another would be more visual options without having download hacks. i'd like to set some translucencies and other things like that - i'd like blue without traffic light close buttons.

i'd like better compatibility in safari - i'm tired of sorry - you are using a macintosh.... so bugger off! no - i'm sorry you're using a PC

i'd also like an option for pro apps to temporarily strip the system down - when you need to render something intensive, kernal task reduces itself, dashboard quits, caches are flushed and just generally ALL power is moved to that app. is that possible? i dont care. sometimes you think oooh that lloks nice... but isn't slowing the computing down?

£0.02

(you can do _that_ yourself. Just quit every other application. As long as you don't invoke Dashboard, it doesn't really hog the CPU. As long as you're just running one main application, it should get all the CPU it needs.)

Is kernal task macOS? i mean is that the actual operating system? is there anyway (hacks or other) to strip it down a bit? its usually the memory hog.

i've also found out that command+shitft+g is path in finder :D

Hehe. Strip down the kernel. Hmm... No, you won't be able to strip down its memory requirements. Yes, that's the core of the operating system.

I agree with the above re dashboard vs Konfabulator. Dashboard wigets need to have the option of remaining visable if desired and optional SMALLER sizes if desired (like Konfabulator. Also, a way of turning dashboard feature off if user does not want it. now it remains running & taking up doc space whether you want it or not

Where did the status go in mail.app 2? I miss being able to see EXACTLY what was going on when I clicked Check Mail. More of a debugging feature than anything. Mostly those of us that may have flakey mail servers...

I know there's the twirly thing beside the inbox, but I want my words back! Is it stuck? Is it just slow? Did mail send the password? :mad:

You get the point.

I would just like to see it run better!

after completely formatting my HD and doing a clean install ... without installing anything ... I am having problems with Mail, Safari and iTunes crashing constantly.
Spot light has never come online it's been indexing for over 48 hours!

But the one feature I have longed for is the ability to sync address books between 2 users on the same computer. Apple has made some improvments in this catagory by adding the abilty to share addresses,but this still does nothing for sharing on the same computer.

Dashboard hog cpu? I dont think so..

233 DashboardC 0.0% 0:00.37 3 94 130 2.86M 3.88M 5.50M 101M
232 DashboardC 0.0% 0:00.58 3 79 157 3.54M 5.47M 6.37M 110M
231 DashboardC 0.0% 0:01.97 3 94 158 3.76M 4.13M 6.42M 104M
230 DashboardC 0.0% 0:02.09 3 94 169 3.90M 4.88M 7.27M 105M
229 DashboardC 0.0% 0:01.34 4 103 164 6.46M 4.84M 9.88M 107M
228 DashboardC 0.0% 0:01.85 3 78 174 5.67M 7.06M 9.69M 115M
227 DashboardC 0.0% 0:01.22 4 104 160 6.41M 11.9M 9.34M 104M
226 DashboardC 0.0% 0:00.52 3 78 148 3.09M 12.3M 6.25M 104M
225 DashboardC 0.0% 0:01.05 4 103 156 6.29M 4.21M 9.32M 106M
224 DashboardC 0.0% 0:01.35 4 103 157 6.40M 4.18M 9.30M 106M
223 DashboardC 0.0% 0:01.05 4 103 158 6.35M 4.21M 9.32M 106M
222 DashboardC 0.0% 0:01.82 4 103 166 6.54M 4.81M 9.95M 107M
221 DashboardC 0.0% 0:00.58 3 95 150 4.26M 5.17M 7.62M 105M

I'd like an active desktop and more built in features, i.e. themes (not just colour themes, actual themes).

fryke said:

What, like this?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 16
Back