time capsule backup file smaller than disk?

Elliotjnewman

Registered
I have been using time capsule for only a few weeks and I have noticed that the file it has created "Elliot Newman’s MacBook Pro_001b63936847.sparsebundle" only reads a file size of 95GB, when the disk I am backing up has 148GB used.

Does this mean the backup doesnt contain all my files? I have to say it concerns me a little that the backup shows only a single file, is there anyway to see the files that time capsule has backed up? I am updating my macbook soon with a bigger interanl drive and I want to make sure all my files are backed up before I do this.

thanks

If you go into Time Machine preferences you can see all of your backups. Choose the latest one and inside the file with the date will include all of your folders and subfolders. The backup is actually a disk image with the data compressed, that's why it will show less than whats on the target volume. You can also go into Time Machine options and choose which folders you don't want to back up. For instance in the options I decided to leave the system out of my backups to save space and I usually just put a clean system before bringing my data back across from Time Machine.

ah ok thanks, I only have change disk and options in the time machine preferences - I dont seem to be able to see the files. When I open time machine app and I get the repeating folder view - is that essentially looking at my time capsule then?

Back