time for a new mac?

brianh

Registered
I have an original bondi blue iMac. Running 8.6, 96mg, external cd drive(tray load broken). I have been contemplating a new sys ... maybe a tower and flat panel monitor? My ? is should I wait a little longer? Are there some new "faster, better, stronger" from Apple in the next 3 months? We have been experiencing 3-4 freeze-ups a day. Can these be attributable to MS IE/OE? I have tried turning off extensions trying to find the culprit but to no avail. There does not seem to be a pattern to the freezes. Any ideas? Thanks, Brian

Originally posted by brianh
I have an original bondi blue iMac. Running 8.6, 96mg, external cd drive(tray load broken). I have been contemplating a new sys ... maybe a tower and flat panel monitor? My ? is should I wait a little longer? Are there some new "faster, better, stronger" from Apple in the next 3 months? We have been experiencing 3-4 freeze-ups a day. Can these be attributable to MS IE/OE? I have tried turning off extensions trying to find the culprit but to no avail. There does not seem to be a pattern to the freezes. Any ideas? Thanks, Brian

If you feel that you should wait for the next big thing (be it the G5 or whatever), you'll never buy anything. And ofcourse, once you do buy it, and they come out with something new, you'll feel like you got jipped.

Buy what you can afford, based on your usage. And if you upgrade it, just don't sink obscene amounts of dosh into the thing. For example, my QS 933, I have 1024mb ram.....I'm not gonna upgrade it to 1.5gigs, because the new ones ofcourse use ddr ram. I'm not gonna upgrade the videocard to the $600can geforce card, and uh....*thinks* that's about it. hehe

I will, however, buy the new lacie 52x24x52x firewire that they just released ($199us, on their website). My superdrive is uh....super, but only 8x, and don't wanna wear out that beloved lense. :D

Keep your imac as a second system, or sell it on ebay. Just wipe the drive, and reinstall.

Apple upgrades everything roughly twice a year, but you never know exactly when that will happen. Possibly the G4 tower will be upgraded in January. It is doubtful that any really huge changes will come before next summer.

As far as your current freeze problem goes, I'd try the following.

1. Use extension manager to turn off unused extensions. Over the years it is possible to pick up things you don't need. If you are uncertain about an extension then leave it be.

2. Use Disk First Aid or similar to check for errors in the Hard Drive. Repair them if found.

3. Check the memory assigned to the apps. MS apps are memory hogs. Click once on the application icon, press command-I to bring up the Get Info window. Find the memory allocation windows and make sure plenty of memory is assigned. There should be some memo indicating the typical amount used. If possible, assign much more than that.

From the Finder, under the Apple menu select about this Mac to get an idea of how memory is currently assigned in the system.

4. If none of that helps then I'd delete the application and reinstall it. You should be able to do this without losing any data.

5. If none of that helps then I'd reinstall the OS.

Hope this helps.

Back